User Tag List

Thread: The Hunger Games trilogy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Hunger Games trilogy

Has anyone finished this trilogy? I just read book one and I'm hooked but I am drawn to stories about dystopian societies in general. Curious to know other readers' thoughts!

If you haven't read the Hunger Games, I highly recommend it if looking for a new read. This is a story of a post-apocalyptic America comprising 12 "districts" that serve the priveleged society of the "Capitol" which instils its authority over the districts by keeping them in virtual poverty and holding annual Hunger Games - a compulsory Survivor-style fight to the death reality TV show, in which two tributes over the age of 12, one male and one female from each district, are chosen by lottery to take part in and there can be only one victor.
    Last edited by Orchid; 01-12-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    "Renegades are the people with their own philosophies. They change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." - Rage

2. Thanks Tabouk, SONYAh! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the introduction

I just asked my best friend (google) and apparently the movie is set to be released in March 2012. I have so many books on my to read list that i would rather see the movie.
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Tabouk, I finished the trilogy in a week - you should bring it up the list. I really think the movie won't do the story justice. I could be wrong...but we shall see.
    "Renegades are the people with their own philosophies. They change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." - Rage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    No Tabouk, I finished the trilogy in a week - you should bring it up the list. I really think the movie won't do the story justice. I could be wrong...but we shall see.
    Well i usually read in bed as it usually takes me a lot of time to fall asleep. Sometimes if the book is great i just keep reading... Latest example: 1000 years of annoying the French - Stephen Clark
    Recently though (and by that i mean the past 6 months) i haven't been reading at all thanks to the Ipad and to a lesser extent the Samsung Tab... Today i decided to start reading again, I am going to start with: A year in the merde. But i will buy the trilogy soon and give it a shot
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabouk View Post
    Well i usually read in bed as it usually takes me a lot of time to fall asleep. Sometimes if the book is great i just keep reading... Latest example: 1000 years of annoying the French - Stephen Clark
    Recently though (and by that i mean the past 6 months) i haven't been reading at all thanks to the Ipad and to a lesser extent the Samsung Tab... Today i decided to start reading again, I am going to start with: A year in the merde. But i will buy the trilogy soon and give it a shot
    Yeah I was the same but I think I read maybe three times as much now that I can download books on my phone. It's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Kindled the first book

Read chapter one, I see what you mean. Very well written and keeps you hooked. It's also easy to read.

These books would make a good gift idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha yes they are very easy to read. It's just a really interesting story. And agreed - it already comes in a nice box set haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so i read book 1 and i am half way through book 2.

First opinion: We get it, your father died in the mines and you miss him. we heard you the first 17 times
    Second opinion: Stop f. chewing on mint leaves!!

no seriously, book 1 was ok except some passages should be trimmed. I found myself skipping pages at times. How many times did she hunt a rabbit or a "goosling" (i don't know what that is but i imagined it as a bird with ryan gosling's head) roasted them and rationed them. for god's sake we know you are good at being thrifty!
    The funny thing is that i didn't mind all this until i started reading book 2... The whole agony starts again: "I am not sure about peeta. maybe i love him maybe i dont. what about gale? oh i remember the woods with gale. we had to save our family. after my father died in the mines. he taught me how to hunt. oh Rue, how i miss you. you remind me of my sister Prim. i can't forgive my mother."

Oh oh another spoiler, by mistake i picked book 3 instead of 2 and i noticed there is something wrong so i read the blurb at the back and that's how it started: "After surviving 2 hunger games..." WTF she is back in the games?!!! I thought book 2 logicaly should be about a revolution not about the games again!!! (even though i am not sure if she went back or not, where i am in book 2 she is still plotting to take down the empire)

Anyway, to wrap up, the books tend to become annoying with time simply because of the repetition and the writing style. I mean bring some depth into the thoughts of Katniss instead of telling us what she had for breakfast, where she went at noon, how she came back home. we are always following her from one place to another. (saying she misses her dead father or that she is confused about Gale and Peeta is not depth in character)

To conclude, Katniss needs to get laid. Desperately! Book 4 should be about that as she would be barely legal by then.

P.S: I will be waiting for the movies. first because Jennifer Lawrence is just too hot and second because the books are more suitable for movies. Suzanne Collins is desperately trying to pull a Stephenie Meyer. (I have to agree though, Hunger Games are way better than Twilight)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaha, Tabouk, I agree with you on Katniss but disagree with you on the story. I found it very enjoyable. Argh I want to write more, but I cant rigth now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally read them all!
    Loved the last one even though the author stretches the books to to 400 pages for no added value (for example she didn't need to blow so many pods!) i loved the ending. now waitng to see the lovely Jennifer Lawrence in the movie this month