User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Medieval Cathedral of Tyre

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    120 N Main St, Hannibal, MO 63401
    Posts
    7,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Medieval Cathedral of Tyre

    Has anyone been there or seen it.
    I plan on visiting it one day a number of my family members seem to have been buried in the church or on the grounds. Not recently though, when it was in use by the Franks and before it was destroyed by the Mamelukes.
    Any thoughts most welcome or any Medieval structures in Tyre or Sidon, my family were active there during the early to mid 13th century, I will enjoy walking in the same paths as they, I pray.

  2. Thanks vampire thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    My brother was talking about a church there on the weekend.....I'll ask him if its the same one and if he took pictures last year

  4. Thanks Samaritan thanked for this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    120 N Main St, Hannibal, MO 63401
    Posts
    7,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xr8sk View Post
    My brother was talking about a church there on the weekend.....I'll ask him if its the same one and if he took pictures last year
    Thank you I plan on visiting it someday, the pictures on the net don't really do it justice. I appreciate your attention xr8sk.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    There are four to five churches in the old Christian quarter of Tyre..Two Melkite Catholics churches (Saint Thomas, and Sayedet el Bchara) and one Maronite Church (Sayedet el Be7ar..Our Lady of the Seas), and one small Orhtodox Church Saint Georges I believe, but the two churches that I suspect Samaritan is talking about one of them is most Likely Saint Thomas , Mar Touma, it is a beautiful structure, they did renovate it about ten or 15 years ago, but it sits near lots of ancient ruins from the time of the Pheonician, Crusaders and other older civilization..
    ? ?? ?? ?? ? ?? ?? ?? ?? ? ? ? ?? ?? ?

  7. Thanks vampire thanked for this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    120 N Main St, Hannibal, MO 63401
    Posts
    7,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeman View Post
    There are four to five churches in the old Christian quarter of Tyre..Two Melkite Catholics churches (Saint Thomas, and Sayedet el Bchara) and one Maronite Church (Sayedet el Be7ar..Our Lady of the Seas), and one small Orhtodox Church Saint Georges I believe, but the two churches that I suspect Samaritan is talking about one of them is most Likely Saint Thomas , Mar Touma, it is a beautiful structure, they did renovate it about ten or 15 years ago, but it sits near lots of ancient ruins from the time of the Pheonician, Crusaders and other older civilization..
    Thank you for the interest my friend, here's a small picture I gleaned from the web and a little blurb to help someone who is knowledgeable.









    a five minute walk to the west.
    Its major point of interest is a Crusader cathedral. Only the lowest foundations and a few re-erected granite columns remain intact but these are nevertheless impressive. The area below has revealed a network of Romano-Byzantine roads and other installations. Visitors are not allowed inside the site, but the ruins can be viewed from the road.

    Apparently this is near the following......


    located on what was the Phoenician island, is a vast district of civic buildings, colonnades, public baths, mosaic streets and a rectangular arena.
    Walk to the beach at the far end of the site. The columns to the left belong to a Palaestra, an area where athletes trained. Other excavated remains on this site date to the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine periods. A short distance from the shore you will see "islands" which are, in fact, the great stone breakwaters and jetties of the ancient Phoenician port, called the "Egyptian port" because it faced south towards Egypt.

    Thanks again
    Last edited by Samaritan; 06-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    201

    Default

    Are there Christians in Tyre?

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Badaro
    Posts
    3,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lebanese1984 View Post
    Are there Christians in Tyre?
    ofcourse there are christians. been there twice.
    there are 7 churches + in Tyre lol. seeman there also Franciscans there and Protestant church/school as well as a Russian one i believe.

    beautiful city with a village feel and great Beaches.
    if I had money I would buy an apartment there.

    samaritan are you talking about the ancient Basilica of Tyre?
    Eusebius mentions it in 315AD with great arches and colonades, atrium and raised aisle.
    Last edited by shreek; 13-05-2013 at 01:23 AM.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    120 N Main St, Hannibal, MO 63401
    Posts
    7,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shreek View Post
    ofcourse there are christians. been there twice.
    there are 7 churches + in Tyre lol. seeman there also Franciscans there and Protestant church/school as well as a Russian one i believe.

    beautiful city with a village feel and great Beaches.
    if I had money I would buy an apartment there.

    samaritan are you talking about the ancient Basilica of Tyre?
    Eusebius mentions it in 315AD with great arches and colonades, atrium and raised aisle.

    That would be the Cathedral of the Holy Cross the other Cathedral mentioned by Euseblus was still standing when the Crusaders took Lebanon. I would like to find more about Medieval Tyre for that is the time of my families residence.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Sam,

    Is the picture you put up whats left of the cathederal you talk of...

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    120 N Main St, Hannibal, MO 63401
    Posts
    7,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xr8sk View Post
    Sam,

    Is the picture you put up whats left of the cathederal you talk of...
    I believe so.
    I back tracked with looking up my ancestors burial place, then started from there and finally found some photos. Hopefully theres more photos. I have an interest in visiting but politically it's probably going to take a while.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •