User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sawte Online Book Club - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    lol! I only started the first few pages, then I had to stop myself before going too far. I decided to wait until the last two days of the week so I could finish in time.
    Waiting for you!! LOL

In the meantime I will begin the other book tonight to meet the deadline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for those who didnt finish part one yet do no2 read my reply
    1st of all am likin the humoghist atmosphere in the book that scratches the sincerity of the topics discussed. i loved the fact that we were told the end then we were taken back to the beginning of the story which made me excited to continue readin.
    am no2 sure if those who r readin the book felt like me the mood of acclamation n praise that was centghal in the first pages.
    was kept in expectancy n suspense during this chaptegh; why? 1st the dead body of the photographer (jeremia), then the letter that he left for dr. (urbino) i was curious to know what was mentioned in those 11 papers which made me want to keep readin!
    felt more ambiguity n mystery when the dr. met the secret lover of jeghemia who was in love with her n stayed with her all his life but in secret; the dr. thought that that love was not respectable contrary to her wife fermina who believed that it was a true love i dont really understand why he didnt want to tell the others about that love; wasnt as well sure if feghmina n ughbino were really in love, even if sometimes i was guided to believe that they really were in love guess Marquez wanted to give the intricacy of love some importance in the novel
    back to the characters, i was shocked when i read the death of the dr; had to laugh tho since he died followin the parrot lol (that moment made me really laugh)
    so till now 2 characters are dead jeremia n dr. urbino! mmmm i was like uf the first 2 characters that were introduced in this chapter are already dead which made excited even more.
    another surprise occurred when florentinos announced his love for fermina in her first night as a widow; after all those years he gets his chance to declare his love lol i second what Voila! said, that was gheally funny
    so readin the first part made it obvious that the core issue is passionate, difficult n dreamy love n i guess it was really revealed in the book after the drs death :-) i expect the second part to concentrate more on fermina n florentino, the wedded life was an important subject as well, not to forget issues like aging, time n others
    there were times when I read paragraphs twice in order to focus more on what was bein portrayed, am not sure if others had to do the same guess its the kind of books that need to be read more than once so that we value it!
    am excited to read the 2nd chapter for sure
    p.s: one final note, guess the language is so weighty (I like) but without break; (which is one of the things am no2 likin)...
    Voila! voili voilou a+
    YOU CAN KILL A MAN BUT YOU CAN'T KILL AN IDEA. -Medgar Evers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't read nora's reply... I am still on pg. 29 but I wanted to write this quote as I find it truly hilarious!

"At last he proposed that they both submit to an open confession (...), so that God could decide once and for all whether or not there had been soap in the soap dish in the bathroom."

p.s. Voila...you are right about the first few pages dragging on... but I started to get into it when he visited Saint-Amour's friend.
    Their Blood shall not go in vain.

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full. Leon Trotsky.

http://www.hopenhagen.org/spreadHope

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done will keep my comments till the deadline tomorrow.

p.s. I like this book :P

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full. Leon Trotsky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok guys and girls...comment time...

as you know by now, the first few pages were a bit dull... but i managed to get through them... the story started to interest me when i saw the lady with the rose in her hair

the major theme that caught my attention is fear of growing old (Gerontophobia)... I mean how many of us are actually afraid of become so feeble that we might need to depend on others...and would we be able to take our own lives to save ourselves that fate?

as for stylistic techniqe... i like the play around time, where it keeps fluctuating from present to past and forwshadows the future as well..

I also like the way Marquez tackles such serious issues as adapting to one another and growing old together, but uses such everday examples as hearing a partner unrinate to show this...

Anywayz, these are just a few comments...

any predictions on how the story goes from here?

I saw it goes back in time to tell us how Florentino and Fermina fell in love. What say you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How great is the name Florentino?!

I must say I am also fond of the play with time. It makes me feel more involved in the story.

I am looking forward to knowing what was the true relationship of Florentino and Fermina and why she rejected him all those years ago.

Is anyone else apart from those who have already posted reading the book with us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we ready to move on? How many parts do we want to set for the next week?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say: two?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts 2 & 3 by 1 June - cannot wait to read the feedback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voila! View Post
    How great is the name Florentino?!

I must say I am also fond of the play with time. It makes me feel more involved in the story.

I am looking forward to knowing what was the true relationship of Florentino and Fermina and why she rejected him all those years ago.

Is anyone else apart from those who have already posted reading the book with us?
    I'm sorry i'm late, i'm bad with homeworks
    The thing is, i'm now on page 19.
    i first read till page 10 and didn't continue then after 2 days i came back to pick up where i left and i completely forgot what was it all about, had to read back from the start
    The thing about the book so far, is that i can't get myself to concentrate on it it's like i read 2 pages then my mind start drifting away....
    I know Voila! told me that past page 20 things will start to make sense so i'm almost there. You go ahead and continue I will catch up with you guys this week. I promise.
    Last edited by Tabouk; 26-05-2009 at 02:35 AM.
    One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.