Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawte Online Book Club - The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Sawte Online Book Club - The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

For everyone who is going to read this book, please read Chapters 1 and 2 by 22nd May.

Once you have read these 2 chapters, please come and share your thoughts and opinions in this thread so that we can discuss before moving on.
    Last edited by Voila!; 10-05-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the book as pdf file. It is a 1.3 Mb file, so if anybody wants it, PM me
    ?? ?? ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one reading this book?
    ?? ?? ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roland_ay View Post
    Am I the only one reading this book?
    i got the book ... will start reading it ... hopefully soon ..
    and i am sure others chose to read it as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have it and did read it a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am reading too.... On my phone now... so going slow.... but will get the book today or tom.....
    Allah Yr7amak ya Gebran!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am reading both

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm reading it, already midway through the 1st chapter.
    Not as good as I expected. People made a hype about this book, so far, he has nothing new to offer. How creative, he made a joke about the concept of trinity! wow, i'm going to be atheist now! yay!
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabouk View Post
    I'm reading it, already midway through the 1st chapter.
    Not as good as I expected. People made a hype about this book, so far, he has nothing new to offer. How creative, he made a joke about the concept of trinity! wow, i'm going to be atheist now! yay!
    Do not get so excited, wait till you hit the second chapter. Very boring, all he does is quote few people and few articles and make few jokes and tell us what to expect in the upcoming chapters. I expect the chapter from 3 and on to be more exciting hopefully.

In conclusion, I guess he has the wrong concept of Christianity and is basing his attack on this concept. For example, he made a joke about the Holy Mary when Pope John Paul 2 said that when he was shot at by that turkish assassin, it was Our Lady of Fatima (i guess) that held the bullet and saved him. And here, Dawkins makes the jokes enou waw it was Lady of Fatima because the Lady of Guadaloupe and Lady of so and so were busy in other errands. This shows his lack of common sense regarding the issue of our lady, because we do not consider them as different persons, but it is that the Holy Virgin appears each time in a different outfit and looks, and she is named after that outfit. Masalan our lady of bechwat wears different than our Lady of Medugorje.
    ?? ?? ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roland_ay View Post
    Do not get so excited, wait till you hit the second chapter. Very boring, all he does is quote few people and few articles and make few jokes and tell us what to expect in the upcoming chapters. I expect the chapter from 3 and on to be more exciting hopefully.

In conclusion, I guess he has the wrong concept of Christianity and is basing his attack on this concept. For example, he made a joke about the Holy Mary when Pope John Paul 2 said that when he was shot at by that turkish assassin, it was Our Lady of Fatima (i guess) that held the bullet and saved him. And here, Dawkins makes the jokes enou waw it was Lady of Fatima because the Lady of Guadaloupe and Lady of so and so were busy in other errands. This shows his lack of common sense regarding the issue of our lady, because we do not consider them as different persons, but it is that the Holy Virgin appears each time in a different outfit and looks, and she is named after that outfit. Masalan our lady of bechwat wears different than our Lady of Medugorje.
    Roro,

I got to this part, and It wasn't funny. If he is trying to convince through sarcasm then it's not working. I mean i'm the as close as it gets to be convinced but not this way. With his style, he might convince a dumb American but no one else.
    In his preface, he went on and on and on, trying to prove that Einstein was an Atheist!
    WHO CARES!! If the guy invented the atomic bomb, it doesn't mean he can please a woman, or he knows about fashion, or know how to cook, or or or influence my decision on a theological question.
    In Chapter one, he keeps on quoting Jefferson! what the hell, who cares if your founding fathers were atheists, deists or religious!!
    I'm still waiting till i reach the part where he refutes Thomas Aquina's proofs.
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”