Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sawte Online Book Club - The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orchid,

I'm not too religious at all, at least not in the way most people are. I read all the religions and I consider religion as a philosophy more than a metaphysical phenomenon.
    With this in mind, I found Dawkin's arguments weak and ridiculous.
    He's mixing things together as in his preface he claims that if Religion wasn't around, there won't be 9/11!! says who? The Japanese in WWII who were blowing themselves up, were they doing it because of Allah or because of honour?

Men will always fight, be it for religious purposes, economical, social, cultural... Tribes in Africa when they fight, they do it in the name of Jesus or Allah? It's a silly excuse really. A blondie from America might go crazy and say yay this guy is right, bad bad religion, but for me, i request more.

In a nutshell, chapter 1 i wasn't impressed. waiting till chapter 2 to see him refute St-Aquinas' philosophical claims.
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabouk View Post
    Orchid,

I'm not too religious at all, at least not in the way most people are. I read all the religions and I consider religion as a philosophy more than a metaphysical phenomenon.
    With this in mind, I found Dawkin's arguments weak and ridiculous.
    He's mixing things together as in his preface he claims that if Religion wasn't around, there won't be 9/11!! says who? The Japanese in WWII who were blowing themselves up, were they doing it because of Allah or because of honour?

Men will always fight, be it for religious purposes, economical, social, cultural... Tribes in Africa when they fight, they do it in the name of Jesus or Allah? It's a silly excuse really. A blondie from America might go crazy and say yay this guy is right, bad bad religion, but for me, i request more.

In a nutshell, chapter 1 i wasn't impressed. waiting till chapter 2 to see him refute St-Aquinas' philosophical claims.
    Hi Tabouk,

You are right that without religion, man would still find something to fight about. Religion is most certainly not the root of all evil. Greed is (in my humble opinion). But here again, you misunderstand Dawkins. The man never said that religion was the root of all evil or that we would all live in peace were it not for religion. On the contrary, he was very specific in saying in his preface, and I quote, that "religion is NOT the root of ALL evil." When Dawkins cited 9/11 as an example, he was being specific to problems in this world that stem from religious differences (and many are). He was saying that were it not for religious dogma, 9/11 would likely never have happened - he makes a good point here because Bin Laden could only ever justify his attacks on the west with Quranic references to defend Islam. He said nothing about us living in this Utopia-like state without religion though.
    "Renegades are the people with their own philosophies. They change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." - Rage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am struggling with this book but I will perservere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you guys doing? I think everyone is caught up with the elections. Let us know when you have hit the target mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished Chapter 6 and to be honest with you, I find nothing worth debating. Nothing stuck on my mind about it to talk about.

I always say I want to have a pen and a paper with me while reading to write down notes to discuss, but I somehow fail to do it. Sorry.
    ?? ?? ?

6. Thanks nora thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read it too long ago.
    As far as I can remember, he made a good case for atheism. However, his style is polemical and sarcastic; not conducive to convincing believers. The only thing I remember disliking about the book is Dawkin's tendency to quote no one but himself.

8. Thanks nora, roland_ay, Tabouk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysos View Post
    Read it too long ago.
    As far as I can remember, he made a good case for atheism. However, his style is polemical and sarcastic; not conducive to convincing believers. The only thing I remember disliking about the book is Dawkin's tendency to quote no one but himself.
    Yes this is very true which is such a waste as I think his logic is flawless.
    "Renegades are the people with their own philosophies. They change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." - Rage

10. Thanks nora thanked for this post