User Tag List

Thread: Freakonomics - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Freakonomics - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?
    What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?
    Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?
    How much do parents really matter?
    How did the legalization of abortion affect the rate of violent crime?

These may not sound like typical questions for an economist to ask. But Steven D. Levitt is not a typical economist. He is a much-heralded scholar who studies the riddles of everyday life—from cheating and crime to sports and child-rearing—and whose conclusions turn the conventional wisdom on its head.

Freakonomics is a ground-breaking collaboration between Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, an award-winning author and journalist. They usually begin with a mountain of data and a simple, unasked question. Some of these questions concern life-and-death issues; others have an admittedly freakish quality. Thus the new field of study contained in this book: Freakonomics.

I highly recommend this book. After reading it, you will, as Levitt would say, look at the hidden sides of everything. It will change the way you perceive things. I really enjoyed reading it.
    Last edited by Tabouk; 03-05-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    “One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished reading it, and the book is good, although overrated. It is claimed that Mr. Levitt can "see things differently than the average person". The book offers well-supported, unusual explanations for certain phenomena, but Mr. Levitt is no George Carlin. If you have successfully absorbed the material given in a college course on statistics or economics (or possibly sociology), then this book will most likely be an only mildly interesting read. Otherwise, if myth busting is an unfamiliar territory for you, then I do recommend the book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this book a while ago and I liked it but I think some of the analysis that Levitt used in his studies were later proven faulty, especially regarding the abortion/crime piece. I'm not sure if it necessarily disproved his conclusion that legalized abortion led to lower rates of crime in America but it definitely cast a question mark on it.
    "Renegades are the people with their own philosophies. They change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." - Rage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the first book to be an interesting read; while the second, on the other hand, found it to be plain and kind of boring!

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is an absolute must read. The original book is much better than the second book which offers very bad solutions to global warming.

6. Thanks Tabouk thanked for this post