Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The New Macbook 12"

Last year, I eviscerated the Macbook 12"
    I said wait until next year.
    I was right but ...

Apparently, Apple came through this year.

============================

The 2016 12" Macbook is substantially better.

DOWNSIDE

Still only one USB-C port (ouch!) and an embarrassing 480p webcam.

UPSIDES

However, the speed performance boosts are truly impressive.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/19/11...r-specs-photos

I ran a few benchmark tests and have been poking around for the last twenty minutes or so — nothing too crazy — and here's the long and short of it. Geekbench 3 pegs the speed improvements on raw processor operations at around 20 percent, but disk-write speeds using Blackmagic saw bigger improvements, as much as 80 or 90 percent faster (reading speeds look like smaller, incremental improvements). Overall, the thing feels about 25 percent faster to me.

You can boot up the 256GB SSD model to an m7 for and extra $250. Add in Apple Care and the total is ... $1800.

SUPER BRIGHT!

GAMING!

Some games are possible, now.

You can even do minor video editting on it ... WOW!

THE GENERAL CONSENSUS IS SHOCK AT HOW MUCH BETTER IT IS THAN 2015.

THIS IS REALLY AN IMPROVEMENT!

EXCEPTIONS!

People are furious that Apple still inserts a 480p webcam, and still only has one port.
    To be fair, I have seen 720p cameras on Windows which are worse.

But everything else is an enormous gain on this model.

Apple should not get a pass for stuffing a low-resolution 480p camera into a $1,299 laptop.

- See more at: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lap....Oy2fOURu.dpuf
    However, one should wait until June to see what Apple will bring out with the Macbook Air and Pro!

Some say the Air line will die out and the Pro line will be made thinner.

Everything else about this is now top-notch.
    Maybe next year they will add another port and a better webcam.

A few people criticize it still, but most are shocked.

I would not buy it because my eyesight is not good enough. I need a 13" screen or better.

BUT THIS ONE IS DEFINITELY RECOMMENDABLE, IF YOU SPRING FOR THE m5 or m7 processor.

Last year was a horror. This could have been a triumph! (had they added one more port and a better webcam)
    Needs an extra port and a better webcam.

I am not biased one way or the other. There are Windows products that I prefer, but this Macbook 12" is a line of computer to beat.

Why does Apple usually release a terrible first year of product; and then improve slowly?

Still, the general consensus is true shock at the degree of improvement.

Kudos must also be given to Intel which is releasing some monster improvements on their core M chips which made this possible.

Waiting to see if Apple will start come out with their own A-chips for these laptops.

NEXT YEAR WILL PROBABLY BE THE BEST YEAR FOR THE MACBOOK 12, but this year is already a great improvement.
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 29-05-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when are you buying?
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You offered this "Some say the Air line will die out and the Pro line will be made thinner."
    Since it's some saying so and not you I'll give the some of my opinion and that would be that the 11 inch Mac Air will be discontinued and the 12 inch MacBook to fill that spot, although they are different.
    There is always the rumor that the MacPro and MacBook Pro will become one as well but I doubt that regardless of the Pros slimming down a bit.
    The MacBook Air 13 is the perfect laptop, it has all the power you need with 4 Ram and with SSD up to 512 GB versus my 121GB, it's pretty fast when booting up and holds a lot of data.
    The Thunderbolt and USB ports make connectivity to displays a breeze when combined with a MacPro and numerous displays daisy chained, the sky's the limit.

I confess I don't keep up with the latest
    minutia of what is going on or what is offered, that occurs when I'm ready to buy or thinking about a future purchase.
    I recently bought a refurbished 15 inch MacBook Pro as a single purpose laptop/desktop machine with limited use on a daily basis, it's an extravagant purchase for 3 hours a week of usage but I wanted to do it.
    The MacBook Pro has the ability for an upgrade and I have done this with exception to removing it's Superdrive (DVD) and replacing it with an SSD. The SSD that's currently in it is slightly larger than the one in my MacBook Air and the bootup times are similar.
    The standard 500 MB hard drive takes an eternity to bootup in my opinion compared to my Mac Book Air and I'm happy the previous owner opted for the SSD Upgrade.
    SSDs are the way to go at least for me, two can be fitted in the older MacBook Pro like I have and my older McBook Air can be upgraded with a huge 1 TB SSD as well.

It all depends on price and what you need, the SSDs seem to be getting less expensive and better.
    What is the greatest thing about the MacAir is its size and weight, it goes everywhere and the battery life is pretty good.

Five years ago I was a frustrated angry PCer hating Windows, Gates and all the hardware I purchased since the mid-nineties, now it's all bliss

Next June I open my own small agency so I'll be looking to make a few purchases they should get me by for the three-year run, it should be fun.
    Last edited by Samaritan; 30-05-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.