Thread: THE HP Spectre 13 vs Apple

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default THE HP Spectre 13 vs Apple

This has promise.

It is supposedly thinner than MacBook Airs. I am not so sure if that is a good thing. There is a limit to thinness.

Some specs and comments

... The Spectre 13 has a 13.3-inch, 1080p display, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage in its base model. More importantly, it includes either a Core i5 or a Core i7 processor. That's the type of processor you'd normally find in the MacBook Air or a typical ultrabook — laptops this size usually get Core M, which is slower, but doesn't get as hot and allows for a smaller battery.
    A 13" MacBook Air with i5 and 256GB RAM is $1199.00 (Click Here)

The base Specter 13" with i5 and 256 GB RAM is $1169.99 (about 29.01 less) (Click Here)

Seems to be better with connections. 3 USB-C ports.

I would have to check out speaker differences.

MacBook 12 HP Spectre 13 Macbook Air 13"
    (with added costs to be comparable)
    Price $1299 $1169.99 (standard) $1199.00
    (including extra costs to compare)
    RAM 8 GB standard 8GB standard 8GB
    (upgraded for $100 over
    4GB base for $1099)
    CPU Core M - M-5Y31 (base)
    Minor upgrade possible for even more

Graphics HD 5300

(Clear loser - underpowered for this screen)
    Intel Core i5-6200U (base)

Intel Core i7-6500U

(upgrade for even $80 extra)

both 6th generation - Skylake

Graphics HD 520 best of the three

Definite Win
    Core i5-5250U (base)

Core i7-5650

(upgrade for even $150 more extra about $100 extra for the RAM)

both are 5th generation Broadwell

Graphics HD 6000
    Native
    Display
    2304-by-1440
    Retina quality

(Clear winner)

HD 5300

Can power an outside 4K monitor
    1920 x 1080

(Halfway between both)

HD 520
    (Slightly better than 6000 and much better than 5300)

Can power outside 4K monitor
    1440 x 900

HD 6000

Can power an outside 4K monitor
    Storage 256 GB SSD PCIe 256 GB SSD PCIe 256 GB SSD PCIe
    Camera 480 p Not declared yet

Who knows?!
    Maybe be a real loser or real winner

HP has good webcams on other slim laptops.

However, this has not been declared.
    720 p
    Ports Only 1 USB 3.0 - C
    (clear loser)
    (3) USB 3.1 -C
    [Two support Thunderbolt]
    (2) - USB 3.0 - Thunderbolt - Mag Safe Power - SDXC card slot - Headphone
    Battery 10 hours 10 +/- hours 12 hours

None of these laptops have touchscreen, which may not be a disaster. I do not like touchscreen all that much on desktops or laptops.

The HP Spectre 13 trounces the Macbook Air 13" - depending on the still undeclared native face camera. The HP has better resolution than the Macbook Air 13, with more powerful CPU chips coming with better integrated graphics - and the Spectre has 3 newer USB - 3.1 C class ports. All for less money.

The HP Spectre 13 resolution is closer to the Retina Screen Macbook 12" than to the Macbook Air 13" The HP has around 165ppi. On such a small laptop, Retina Screen is not really needed, and the HP comes close anyway. The Macbook 13" loses badly.

THE HP WINS ON POWER

The HP has new Skylake chips with more power and better integrated graphics on the chips, to power outside monitors. HP wins this hands down over both the Macbook Air 13 and the Macbook 12.

THE HP CLEARLY WINS ON NEW PORTS

In terms of new ports: The HP wins over the Macbook 13". The HP packs (3) USB - 3.1 C, which are the newest. Two of the HP USB-C port can function as thunderbolt ports for monitors. THE HP beats the Macbook Air 13 on categories and number.

The HP Spectre also beats the Macbook 12" which has only (1) USB 3.0 - C.

THE AUDIO

The Audio is unknown. Bang and Olufson has a good reputation; but so does Apple. Until the laptops ship, and gets inspected, one cannot be sure about the audio comparison.

SCREEN RESOLUTION

Retina resolution is really unimportant on smaller laptops. With small laptops even the Spectre's 1920 x 1080 can produce around 165 ppi to a Retina 226 ppi . Unless one has the eyes of an eagle, that is quite sufficient.

While, in theory the Macbook 12 has a higher resolution, no one will run the full 2304 x 1440 resolution on a Macbook 12" laptop. In fact, one may need to download an resolution app to set up the full resolution. One could not read the print on a browser page. The retina resolution will only be used with Photoshop which works around the desktop resolution. While, Retina will make a difference with photoshop, no one will do serious final end photoshopping on a Macbook 12"- not with a Core M chip. In effect, the Spectre 13 graphics are more than sufficient, and better powered.

The HP clearly beats the Macbook Air 13 in resolution.

Oddly, even if Apple keeps the supposedly abysmal 1440 x 900 resolution on the MacBook Air 13, that is also truly minor. Even the Macbook 13's poor 1440 x 900 is more than sufficient on a small laptop. On a 13" screen you are looking at around 130 ppi, which is equal to or far superior to most desktop monitors. So, the resolution issues are minor.

BATTERY LIFE

Battery life differences are not that major a concern, but if important to you, goes to the Macbook Air 13". One of the Macbook Air 13" few victories.

WEB CAMERA

HP has not released the camera specs ... and that may be a breaker. It is hard to believe that the HP will not equal or better the Macbook Air's 720p camera. However, if HP did not install a web cam - highly unlikely - that will sink the model totally.

OUTCLASSED

The HP has the Macbook AIR 13" outclassed in CPU power, price, resolution, ports, and the HD 520 Integrated Graphics in their 6th generation Skylake chips.

THE HP has the Macbook 12 outclassed in CPU power, price, and integrated graphics - with the exception that the Spectre 13 has cooling fans, while the Macbook 12 is air-cooled. The fans may not need to run unless one does video or photo editting.

Practically speaking, the Retina Screen quality of the Macbook 12" is needed only for bigger desktops or laptops above 15" I mean it is nice and sharp, but not a major concern, especially since the Core M chip is underpowered.

RESOLUTION ASIDE

All of these laptops can power an outside external higher resolution 4K monitor.

So the resolution is issue is minor, since at 13" or less, no one will set up the high end resolution on the laptop.

CONCLUSIONS

The HP Spectre 13" is the winner on power, ports, and price, but its final draw will depend on the native web camera resolution. It will be hard to do worse than the 480p camera on the Macbook 12". But why is no one commenting on the camera? They are being fed specs from HP without actually seeing the product itself.

Let's see what Apple responds with during next upgrade of the Macbooks. Apple may go with Skylake CPUs, and will probably catch up to or surpass HP, then.

Of course, if the 2016 MacBook 12" changes to a Core i5, then Apple wins ... game over. Not likely, for heat reasons. Right now, it is running a Core-M chip. Very weak.

At this moment (Depending on the web camera) the HP Spectre wins by a longshot.

Can someone find the face cam spec for the HP Spectre?

Final NOTE: Apple is working on some killer A-Chips of its own, so we have to see.
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 08-04-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever own an HP notebook I have they are crap, the clam shell cracked after 90 rays.
    Ever own HP desk tops they are crap I bought two they finally died and replaced with a Sony Vario 15i Inch another piece of crap.
    Mac 4 years this Aug perfect every day w/ exception to power cords they stink just opened my third.
    I must say the HP Power Cords are great, their computers and hardware suck and the OS is the pits but when it comes to power cords man they have it going on.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samaritan View Post
    Ever own an HP notebook I have they are crap, the clam shell cracked after 90 rays.

This new Spectre 13 is a higher end model. I doubt it will crack, being copper and a carbon fiber composite.

Ever own HP desk tops they are crap
    I am running on a 4+ year old HP desktop. Works okay. In fact, it gave me only
    one serious problem, which they fixed, no charge within the first month. Since then,
    I have had a good time with it.

... the [Windows] OS is the pits
    Actually, Windows 10 is rated better than OS by many experts.

That being said. I suppose it is personal.

The issue of the supposed abysmal 1440 x 900 resolution on Macbook Air 13 is rather ridiculous.

On Retina Screens (whether iMac or laptop) the full resolution is never used as one could not read the print on the desktop. The high end resolution is only good for photoshopping. Serious photoshopping is hardly done on a smaller laptop, as the detail is too small.

On a 13.3" Macbook 13" the ppi (pixels per inch) is about 127 ppi which is above the average of 100 ppi for a desktop computer.
    On a 11.6" Macbook 11" the ppi is about 135 ppi, which is 35% above desktop computer average.

These are not bad resolutions.

Some newer laptops have 1920 x 1080 on 13" screen, but if you set the laptop to full resolution, you'd need a magnifying glass to read the text. On Apple, you'd need an app to set resolutions on a Retina Screen resolution.

So the Retina resolution - to my mind - only matters on high end screens 25" or greater.

WHY YOU CANNOT USE THE RETINA RESOLUTION FOR REGULAR RESOLUTION

ONLY FOR VIDEO/PHOTO EDITTING

Even, then one only needs such resolution on programs which overrule the resolution setting such as video editors or photoshop.

So the complaint about Apple Air's having low resolution is rather bogus.

1366 x 768 is common on mid-range Dells. This one is $550. (Click Here) where the ppi is about 118 ppi for a 15" model, and the battery life is far less than a Macbook Air 13"

The Macbook Airs do not have bad resolutions. Not at all. One does not need high end resolution on a laptop, especially small ones.

So the Spectre 13 vs Macbook Air 13 is not an issue on resolution; but yes, the Spectre wins substantially, but that 1920 x 1080 (165 ppi) resolution will never be set, unless you want a magnifying glass to read the text on the desktop screen. It will only be used for photo/video editting.

Nor is the Spectre 13 vs Macbook 12 an issue. Even though in theory the Macbook 12 has higher resolution, at 12" it will never be used. The Macbook 12 has 226 ppi. The Spectre 13 is close enough at 165 ppi. But neither will be set to full resolutions unless video or photoeditting.

SO THE HIGHER RESOLUTIONS WILL NOT BE USED EXCEPT IN PHOTO OR VIDEO EDITTING WHERE THE SOFTWARE CAN OVERRIDE THE SETTINGS on the photos.

Hence, the issue of high end resolutions on small laptops is bogus. Most of the time you will set the resolution to basic 1366 x 768 resolution or less, anyway.

THE REASON THE SPECTRE WINS

Far more powerful CPUs with better integrated graphics. - which means they can power external monitors

Better pricing.

The Spectre is made out of high end material. This is not crappy plastic. Copper and composite graphite.

What is not mentioned is that the copper on the Spectre functions as a heat radiator and is better at heat conduction (cooling) than the aluminum of a Macbook. Hence the Spectre has some top end engineering. It can shrink down to Macbook 12" size without having to go to a weak Core-M tablet chip.

You can have a higher end processor in a smaller machine.

I suspect the fans will rarely kick in apart from video editting.

My own view: The Spectre overall beats the Apple for a little less money.

However, Apple will have an event in June. We will see if Apple ups the ante.

Apple's A9X chip is roughly on par with an 2013 Core i5.

It is well ahead of the Intel Core-M series.

When means the new Macbook 12" may get rechipped to a much better chip this June.

Apple is making some interesting chips to compete with Intel. I doubt this will make a difference for the Macbook Pro or Macbook Airs.

But it may boot the Macbook 12" / Retina into respectable territory.

The future is laptops and pads. I love desktops, but most people now prefer mobiles.
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 08-04-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three HP purchases, all HP dogs no thanks and OS from Gates after using it since Windows 95 tells me that is garbage as well, renaming a skunk does not change its stink.
    The micro soft Gates store at Florida Mall on a Saturday at 1pm has maybe 20 people in it at most next door Apple has 150.This is typical any day any hour and that is telling for the last few years.
    Oh yes the 20 that Gates look a like Apple store are Gates employee.
    The man stole the design of the store from former Apple Store look I guess he cannot help himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac released its new MacBook 12" last week. Compare it to the HP Spectre 13 specs above.

While MacBook 2016 now has upgraded Skylake Core M chips, which do seem to add some improvement
    there is no extra added second or third USB-C port and the camera remains at 480p. Though admittedly, the graphics have been improved, by virtue of upgrade to Skylake.

HP Spectre 13 already has Skylake , and still seems to be winning this show over the MacBook 12". BY A LONGSHOT.

A full display of HP Spectre 13 will be out tomorrow, with complete specs. Already, information has leaked that the camera will be 720, which - if true - will sink the MacBook 12" in that department.

We shall see tomorrow, when HP releases the Spectre 13 officially. Already, the Spectre seems to be well outperforming the MacBook 12"

The extra cost 1.3 GHz M7-6Y75 is still far worse than the 2.3 GHz standard i5-6500 on the HP

THE CORE-M on the MacBOOK 12" is still underpowered against the HP Spectre 13.

(CLICK HERE)

and the HP has an edge on chip embedded graphics
    Iris 520 (HP) has an edge over the Irish 515 (Macbook 12)

The only other competitors will be the MacBook Airs, due to come out in June. If the Airs go Retina, then the HP will have some strong competition.

If not, then the HP wins on power, ports, and price.

THE RETINA ISSUE - MacBook Airs do not have Retina. The MacBook 12" does have Retina, but is underpowered. The HP Spectre 13" beats the MacBook Airs in resolution, but loses, not by much to the MacBook 12" The HP however outpowers the MacBook 12"

Word of note: Even if the Airs do not go Retina in June, this is not much of a downer. In reality, on a 13" model, on cannot set the resolution higher than 1440 x 900 without needing a microscope. The higher resolution only comes into play with photo or video editting which override the resolution settings.

This is true of the HP Spectre 13's 1920 x 1080p resolution, which also is too much for a 13" and would only be useful on photo or video editting. On a 13" 1920 x 1080 is close to 165 pixels per inch which is very close to Retina anyway.

SO I WILL NOT FAULT THE MACBOOK AIRS ON RESOLUTION, EVEN IF THEY DO NOT GO RETINA. THE REAL KEY IS POWER, PRICE, PORTS, and CAMERA.

June will decide that.

Already, the HP Spectre 13 is beating the MacBook 12" at well under the prices. Even if one upgrades the HP - Spectre 13 to the high end i7-6500u processor, which really will run the most expensive MacBook 12" into the dust, the HP still comes in under for far less money.

Even the standard HP Spectre 13 - with a standard i5-6200 - trounces any MacBook 12" for over a hundred less than the standard model, and hundreds less than the upgraded higher cost Macbook 12.

Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 25-04-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run into the dust lol.

Oh yes, the Gates store at Florida Mall is just as empty as it ever was and the Apple Store twice as large as Gates place is very busy if not packed.
    We are lucky to have three large Apple Stores in the area and each is busy from 10AM TO 9PM.
    My old 15 inch Sony Vario which has one dedicated purpose cr@ps out quite often, however, I give it a reprieve sort it out but I wait and am busy moving ancient files on the thumb drive as was done today.
    Since this has a single purpose use and no other I am looking at a refurbished 20 inch, 21 inch iMac, 15 inch MacBook Pro or the latest version of the White MacBook with the 20 inch or 24 inches Cinema Display.
    Since all run the same OS El Capitan it will depend on what's available to update.
    The purpose is to run one program less than 3 hours weekly for the next 3 years and maybe beyond.
    It's not not my use.
    Next month I'll be on a new Mac Pro on the weekends for building an extensive Filemaker 14 business application.
    The iPad Pro 9.7 looks great, I'll buy that one sometime soon, the business application for taking notes on top of a PDF at the first face to face is very nice and the 4 speakers are amazing when making the daily quota on a pair of Sennheiser MB Pro 2 Headset calls.
    They don't cut the sound to me only the customer,
    I likes my Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour, Isabelle Boulay among others

Last edited by Samaritan; 25-04-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run into the dust lol.

Oh yes, the Gates store at Florida Mall is just as empty as it ever was and the Apple Store twice as large as Gates place is very busy if not packed.

Proves nothing! Apples limits its sales to Apple Stores and Best Buy, Sears, and authorized dealers.

Windows does not. Hence more stores sell windows laptops hence customers/per store is less.

Next month I'll be on a new Mac Pro on the weekends for building an extensive Filemaker 14 business application.

No one is comparing the HP Spectre 13 to a MacBook Pro but to MacBook Airs.

Though IRONICALLY, the new HP Spectre 13 is roughly comparable to a MacBook 13" Pro.

HP SPECTRE 13 MacBook Pro 13
    Price w/ update to i7 6500u

$$1169 +$80 (based on reports)
    i7-6500u

$1249

Spectre Wins
    $1499 + $300 = $1799

I7-5557U (after upgrade)

Click Here

Processor 6th gen Skylake

2.5 -- 3.1 GHz
    5th generation Broadwell

3.1 -- 3.4 GHz

Apple Wins
    Graphics
    embedded in Chip
    HD 520 (see below) Irish 6100
    RAM 8GB 8GB but for $200 you can add more
    RAM up to 16GB

Edge to Mac, but only if you add a second upgrade
    for $200 over and above the $300 for upgrade to
    i7

Edge to Mac if upgraded
    Graphics HD 520

Slight Edge to HP
    Irish 6100
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 2560 x 1600

Apple Wins
    Ports 3 Modern USB-C ports

HP WINS
    Older style ports

USB 3.0 HDMI Mag safe
    Weight 2.45 pounds

HP WINS
    3.48 lb
    Camera Reputedly similar 720p Reputedly Similar 720p
    Storage 256 GB but upgradeable PCIe 256 GB but upgradeable PCIe

The Spectre was meant to compete with the Airs, but comes close to
    matching the Pro Models, and for hundreds less.

Now, the 15" MacBook Pro runs the HP into the dust, but only for hundreds more.

What is amazing is how the HP Spectre 13 competes with the MacBook Pro 13.

The Spectre was meant to compete with the Airs, and it overwhelms the Airs. But more than that it almost knocks out the 13 MacBook Pro

HOWEVER, the 2016 Mac June event may change that. Apple is expected to go to Skylakes on the Pro and everything may change, but the price difference is astounding.

One note; Mac Wins big on the resolution. The Mac Pro are Retina. Normally, that is not a very big deal. Most laptops rarely are set to max resolution. However, the Pros are for video and photo editting and there resolution matters; but only on editting. Other than that, a 13" laptop will probably be set to 1440 x 900 at most.

This may be an issue with the HP Spectre 13. Still the Spectre at 165 ppi is close to Retina.

Spectre was not meant to compete with the Pro - ONLY the AIRS - but comes very close to matching the MacBook Pro 13 for hundreds less.

I do web design as a hobby - and I am considering a mac for its graphics. However, this weekend, I had access to a 2013 MacBook 13". I was not impressed with its OS. Windows seems more intuitive to me. That being said: I may only need more time.

OS X looks like Linux OS.

Both similar roots. I am not impress with Linux OS, and I have used Linux - used to partition my hard drive. Believe it or not, I prefer Windows.

However, the acid test was a load up of Gimp.

Gimp rips open in seconds in Linux. Slow in Windows. Did not strike me as opening fast in OS X, however the Gimp was corrupted on the MacBook Air.

Reputedly similar 720p
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 25-04-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the contrary, it's indicative of the public's interest in the product that Gates and Microsoft produces.
    The fact that Apple has additional retailers destroys your argument of limited access. Face it the PC and Gates products are not quality and have a short expiration date before they bust.
    What makes matters worse is during the time they somewhat operate and function there are surprises until they register the inevitable blue screen and are subjected to the garbage dump.

It appears the only one who thought there was a comparison between HPs latest folly and the Mac Pro is you, I just said I'll be using one on the weekends to do a project.
    Please don't ever compare any HP junk with Mac.
    Oh no, Sam, say it ain't so...HP junk......yes boy wonder...after purchasing 3 HP computers 1 laptop and 2 desktops, your humble customer is allowed to say their shite, plain unadulterated shite guaranteed to cause you pain, a hole in your wallet and 3 more pieces of garbage in the landfill with or without Carly at the head.
    Yes, I believe you prefer Windows.
    Gates Garbage.

The good news is the only single purpose Sony Vario 15 inch flagship of PC Laptop of yesteryear is quickly ending it's time and will be replaced by a veteran refurbed 15" Mac Pro probably this week.
    It was unexpected however after reviewing the options and no never in a million years would I subject my family with another Bill Gates or PC rubbish I chose the Mac Pro laptop partially because of your incessant cheering of its ability to upgrade. Since it will have light duty 3 hours a week I doubt it will be overtaxed.
    I'll spring for the three-year extended warranty just $100+.
    Last edited by Samaritan; 26-04-2016 at 12:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up a refurbed 15 inch MacBook Pro with SSD and maxed out RAM should be a great replacement for a single purpose use Sony 15 inch that kept my technical skills finely honed to keep it working.
    I pick it up tomorrow.