Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable vs adsl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cable vs adsl

I have ADSL connection and when I have 2 or more connections on the WIFI it's starts to stutter and buffer (if watching video). Very very annoying.
    was at my cousins place 2 days ago he has Cable.
    he was on his laptop, kids were on the ipad watching online cartoons and his wife was using her mobile, all via his WIFI connection.
    It has been years since I had Cable but it was like an epiphany for me. Wow he had clear fast internet speed and connection the SAWTE site came up instantly when he went to the address.
    so stuff it, yesterday I phoned one of the cable providers and said CONNECT ME!
    they come on Friday, at which time I disconnect my ADSL crap connection.

if you can afford it guys always go Cable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your modem may have been the issue. Especially if it's a modem for internet and TV as well.

Cable speed isn't guaranteed. if too many ppl have cable in ur area using it at one time, ur connection will slow down. With dsl it's always one connection.

Ur DSL company may be compressing data to get faster speeds, which not all modems work on. I had same issues as you for a couple of months until last Saturday they sent me a new modem (fancy stuff) and it's great now. HD TV & 25meg (10 upload) & telephone, all on one little phone jack, and costs me 40 bucks less per month than cable.
    OneIsManyIsOne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are on the cusp of a time where we will run our TV's through the computer and it is true that there are some efforts already here, but those are not universal and only a few are of limited success.

Imagine when such a thing happens then anyone who wishes to create a tv network could do so and compete with all the giants, it will reinvent Tele just as the Cable TV industry did at it's beginning.

I envision as pay as you watch system, ala carte, perhaps all you can watch menu even a one time play as we do movies.

Just as all media is coming to the net, so shall most experiences. I envision the net as the great equalizer, true a man has a different experience at the Prado or Louvre, let us say they wish to visit the great sites of Europe or the Middle East, yes there are videos of such things but they are not interactive and in real time but that shall be some day and it will be quite a time.

We are living in a time where someone orders a book from Amazon and it could be delivered to his home by drone in a few hours, certainly if this is reality and it is then any experience will be.

Television it's the stuff dreams are made of......
    ps I would not base my investments on these DSL or cable vehicles, the future 8 trak, VHS ect
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Luv it when you envision Sammy.. envisioned most today's 25 years ago; al Gore has absolutely nothing on me and I got my university exams to prove it.

And such a thing already happened Sammy, it's why years ago Time's cover personality of the year was "YOU"; mainly due to youtube. but idea was: you are your own TV network now.

Something old oppressive systems hate!
    OneIsManyIsOne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreek View Post
    I have ADSL connection and when I have 2 or more connections on the WIFI it's starts to stutter and buffer (if watching video). Very very annoying.
    was at my cousins place 2 days ago he has Cable.
    he was on his laptop, kids were on the ipad watching online cartoons and his wife was using her mobile, all via his WIFI connection.
    It has been years since I had Cable but it was like an epiphany for me. Wow he had clear fast internet speed and connection the SAWTE site came up instantly when he went to the address.
    so stuff it, yesterday I phoned one of the cable providers and said CONNECT ME!
    they come on Friday, at which time I disconnect my ADSL crap connection.

if you can afford it guys always go Cable!
    Cable is going out in America. I am stuck in one of the last places. High speed phones are taking over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YOSS View Post
    Luv it when you envision Sammy.. envisioned most today's 25 years ago; al Gore has absolutely nothing on me and I got my university exams to prove it.

And such a thing already happened Sammy, it's why years ago Time's cover personality of the year was "YOU"; mainly due to youtube. but idea was: you are your own TV network now.

Something old oppressive systems hate!
    Youtube is nice but it's not exactly the on demand I am talking about and it's not producing television networks by independents.
    Come now even Net Flex is the wave of the future.
    The future is the net, to be able to see on demand anything that ever was or will be is still a long way off.
    Reading every book and anything that can be digitized is still a long way off. Yes some of this has been done but we are still in the infancy of all this.
    Last edited by Samaritan; 09-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samaritan View Post
    Youtube is nice but it's not exactly the on demand I am talking about and it's not producing television networks by independents.
    Come now even Net Flex is the wave of the future.
    The future is the net, to be able to see on demand anything that ever was or will be is still a long way off.
    Reading every book and anything that can be digitized is still a long way off. Yes some of this has been done but we are still in the infancy of all this.
    Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you...
    OneIsManyIsOne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have cable at home, download around 50Mbps , upload 2.5Mbps; I have been on cable for around 15 years now and the only downside is no static IP. I tried to go ADSL about 3 years ago for the benefit of a Static IP but it sucked so I cancelled within the cooling off period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cable is available in metropolitan areas in OZ and is permanently on hold now. NBN (national broadband network with fiber a speed up to 1Gb) is being rolled out alongside with other hybrid solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
    Cable is going out in America. I am stuck in one of the last places. High speed phones are taking over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have adsl 25mb down, and 10 up. upto to 100 down is available. I also get TV on it. HD and all. And my speed very rarely fluctuates. and it's less costly than cable by 30-40 bucks a months at least.

why ppl still pay for cable's higher price? if anyone knows?
    OneIsManyIsOne