User Tag List

Thread: Windows 10 - The Preview Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Windows 10 - The Preview Installation

Last Week Windows 10 allowed the curious to download temporary Preview installations of Windows 10, the new OS.

And since I am CURIOUS AMERICAN:

I downloaded it to an seven year old Laptop with an Intel Duo 2 Core - 64 Bit 1.83 Ghz, and 3 RAM

Review.

1) It will catch on. Unfortunately! But only because people hated Windows 8/8.1. Windows made a serious mistake with Win 8/8.1/8.2

2) Windows 7 is going to be around a long time. A very long time. Like XP, it was a near perfect operating system for its time and people will not leave it so readily.

3) Windows 10 continues the mistake, though not as badly. It only corrected part of the damage.

4) The damage is: Desktops/Laptops are NOT tablets. They are serious machines, and people do not want the clownish looking graphics.

Windows tried to outdo Apple. Apple co-ordinates everything in its eco-system. Ipad. Iphone. Macbook, iMac.

Features on any Apple platform will communicate with features in the other Apple plaform. iPad to iMac.

But not even Apple in its maddest delusions was crazy enough to use OS X Mavericks on an iPad.
    Apple had enough sense to realize that the OS system for a tablet, and an iPhone need to be different than the OS for a desktop/laptop

Microsoft does not have this sense. Windows 10 will now run on Windows smartphones, Windows tablets, and Windows desktops/tablets.

Esthetically, it is a disaster.

Windows 10 has lots of primary colors, which looks awful enough on a phone which is small, and where color distinction should be easy, but looks truly horrible on a desktop/laptop and even tablets.

Technically, it makes sense, but esthetically it is a complete disaster. If Apple has proved anything ... esthetics matter. People pay extra for it.

You cannot have the menu looking like it only has 16 color options. Cherry Red or Canary Yellow. Did they have eight year old boys choose the colors, with only a 16 crayon limit?

And this is by design. In the 1980s, computers were limited to 256 colors. Today, computers have millions of colors. Yet, Windows made its menus limited to a few primary colors, seemingly designed by Crayola Crayons.

Primary colors (which are appropriate only for kindergarten furniture and finger paints) do not work on serious desktops.

Flat icons - with no sense of depth - are atrociously ugly. The icons look like Windows 10 went back 20 years to Windows 3.

The new menu

The system 24 years ago

What were they thinking.

The flat icons look like Windows went back 25 years.

Then the apps!

Apps make sense on tablet or a phone, but I have misgivings about apps on a desktop. They are nice for a tablet but planting them on a start menu colored with primary colors is a horror. There were better ways this could have been done.

And the App boxes load up in primary colors. Argh! I have not seen graphics that bad since the 1980s.

A) The primarly colors are horrific.

And the wonderful Aero glass menu of Windows 7 is lost.

As computers move to 4K graphics, and Retina (on Macs) Windows has dumbed the desktop and the menu down to 8 bit graphic color options.

B) All Windows needed to do was add an app functionality to Windows 7. If they wanted to make money, they could have charged for the update. As it is, newer computers still have to pay Microsoft no matter what version of Windows is loaded.

Up until Halloween, you can still buy laptops with Windows 7. Consider your options now.

C) Finally, NO ONE NEEDS A TOUCH SCREEN ON A DESKTOP. NO ONE!

Touch screens are for tablets and phones. Windows has taken desktops and geared them to the least functional of platforms.

Windows 10 will tank. Already, PCs are fed up and moving to Android and Linux.

No one will budge from Windows 7 for a decade. Win7 was an esthetic masterpiece. It only needed some code cleaning up.

What was Microsoft thinking?

Right now, they are asking reviewers for help. I am telling them. This is a disaster. Functionally, it may work, but esthetically, it is a nightmare.

Here is the point.

People loved the Windows 7 menus. All Windows needed to do was change the internals, and add an optional app functionality to Windows 7. Computer Manufactures would still have to pay for it. Like Apple, Windows could have charged $30 for updates to Windows 7 .... x. to the consumer, as Apple used to do.

Apple spends more time cleaning up the internal code than messing with a good desktop. Windows should realize this.

Don't screw with a great desktop. And for crying out loud, don't make it uglier and dumb it down. FIX THE INTERNAL CODE.

I love PCs. but Windows 10 is a disaster, even if it succeeds. People will buy it only because they hate Windows 8.

But those on Windows 7 will not budge until Win 11.

Hopefully, Win 11 will restore elegance to desktops.

Technically, Win 10 is faster, with cleaner code, less footprint on the RAM. But it is UGLEEEE!
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 06-10-2014 at 07:11 PM.

2. Thanks Samaritan, YOSS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice review I still have a windows based desk top till Feb and a backup Sony Vario for business that runs XP so I won't do the upgrade.
    The beauty of Mac or Apple is every things runs smoothly between all devices and that 99.99999999999% of the time.
    Last edited by Samaritan; 07-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samaritan View Post
    Nice review I still have a windows based desk top till Feb and a backup Sony Vario for business that runs XP so I won't do the upgrade.
    The beauty of Mac or Apple is every things runs smoothly between all devices and that 99.99999999999% of the time.

Technically, Windows is even more compatible, since now Windows tablets, phones, and computers now all will use Windows 10.

Technically, Windows 10 is brilliant beyond belief. I loaded it up on one computer, and when I loaded it up on a second, all the info transferred immediately.

What is killing Windows is Abysmal esthetics.

1) With the best color monitors in history, why is Windows using primary colors for menus.

2) Desktops are not tablets. They are semi-permanent structures. The thought of putting my fingers on a touch screen on a long term monitor in my room is not good. Tablets and phones are portable, and expected to be abused. Desktops are not.

While internally the code should be the same, the external desktop on a desktop computer should be different than a tablet and phone.

Apple knows this, which is why it adjusts its desktop very rarely.

If Windows wanted to change the desktop, it should have gone to a Cairo-Dock, like Apple with its bottom dock.

3) I thought Apple was crazy for not making a touch screen. Now, I see the wisdom of it. A home computer is closer to a piece of furniture. A tablet is a notebook. One does not mind getting finger prints on a notebook, but is horrified at getting fingerprints on the TV screen.

I want a touch friendly tablet, but the thought of groping my hands over a 23" Monitor creeps me out.

4) Windows has geared its software to the least esthetic piece in its arsenal, the Windows phone. It designed everything so people would move to the Windows phone. I am told the Windows phone is the most technically brilliant of all of them, but esthetically, with its primary colors it looks like the art was done by Crayola.

Almost no one buys Windows phones or tablets. (even though the Windows tablet is not bad.)

Windows is risking its computer business to push a phone that only has 3% of the market.

People are so fed up with it, that computer companies are now moving to Linux and Android.

And I dual boot to Linux. Linux now offers (as an option) the Cairo-Dock (Apple Dock) which is a million times more estethic than the primary color menu now offered by Windows 10.

5) Supposedly, Windows will be changing Windows 10 during this trial period. Hopefully they can rescue it.

On an internal level, Windows may be brilliant, but on an esthetic level, Windows 10 is a horror.

That being said, they may clean it up before the official release. I hope so.

Finally, Windows looks like it stole massively from Linux.

If Windows does not correct this problem, people will remain on Windows 7, which still has 51% of the market, and stay with XP which has 23% of the market.

Windows 8 is so detested that it only has 13% of the market. People remove it and go back to Windows 7 ... Windows 8 is that detested.

On a technical level, Windows 10 has cleaner, lesser cluttered code than Window 8

Windows 8 has less code than Windows 7

Windows 7 has less code than XP.

So Win 10 is BRILLIANT technically. Faster, ,but estetically it is horrible right now.

Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 07-10-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XP is no longer supported. So you had better stay off the net.

XP was amazing, but is totally dated. Will not run IE9 or later. No longer has security patch updates.

I hated the Apple ecosystem, but it looks like Windows with Windows 10 is getting even worse than Apple.

Mercifully, PC makes are switching to Android and Linux.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...ndroid-desktop

I run a dual boot with Linux and PC.

I can tell you that Linux is lightning fast - the problem is fewer software option.

And the terminal is not user friendly.

Windows has moved into hardware with Surface Pro and Windows Phone - essentially trying to recapitulate Apple which is vertically integrated.

In doing so, it has ticked off PC makers, who are now moving to Linux and Android.

I have seen Linux systems sold at Staples. Linux now controls 90% of the server market, and has the real edge. Only software is preventing linux from destroying Windows and Apple for that matter. Linux is great.

Almost no one writes software for Linux.

And Linux is open source, which is why no one writes software for Linux. No money in it.

I am rooting for Windows. I like Windows overall. Windows 7 was a masterpiece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's the desktop that's xp, the laptop is vista, the desk top gets replaced by a brand new shiny 27 inch iMac in second week in Feb, I hates the Gates rubbish, I hates the xxxx hardware that uses it.
    These are leftovers.Very happy with iPad,iPhone and MacAir.

The Tops said it best.....I'm in a different world and it's so so sweet.

Last edited by Samaritan; 07-10-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's the desktop that's xp, the laptop is vista, the desk top gets replaced by a brand new shiny 27 inch iMac in second week in Feb, I hates the Gates rubbish, I hates the xxxx hardware that uses it.
    These are leftovers.Very happy with iPad,iPhone and MacAir.

The Tops said it best.....I'm in a different world and it's so so sweet.

If you go with a Mac, then max out the RAM and go with SSD Drives (No moving -parts)
    on Laptops Apple solders in the RAM so what you buy, you are stuck with.
    Max out the RAM and use SSD hardrives (no moving parts)

This will cost more

Upgrade to i7 3.5 Ghz Quad Core Processor to the fastest (Boosts up to 3.9) Add $200

Upgrade to 32 GB memory - add $600

Get a 1 TB Flash drive - add $1000

If they allow, upgrade the video card as well.

If you want to do Mac right, then upgrade to the max all at once. Apple now solders components on some models and you cannot upgrade later on.This will drive the total costs up to $4000, but it will be worth it to you. A mac at that level will last for 10 years.

Why? Almost no moving parts but the fan.

Once you make the hard drive Flash (SSD) instead of SATA, you get rid of the moving parts, which is why hard drives break down. SSD Hard drives are blindingly fast. Almost like tripling the speed of the computer. Programs start up INSTANTLY.

This is nice, but Leo did NOT max out the memory - late 2013

Do not take the 3 TB fusion drive.
    It has moving parts. Go with the 1TB SSD - no moving parts.
    By the way 1TB SSD is more expensive than a 3TB fusion drive.

If you need more storage than 1TB use external.

1) Max out core processor

2) Max out RAM to 32 GB

3) Max out Video Card

4) Forget Fusion - Go all SSD, and max out the SSD

Combined will be at $4000 +/-

Stay with all SSD Drive. Avoids moving parts. If you max it out the computer will last ten years and perform amazingly.
    Avoid Fusion, it still has moving parts.

Macs are not the best computers, though the Macbook Pro may be the best laptop out there, only if you max it out.
    They are all high end, though.
    Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 07-10-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to notebooks it plain don't get much better then a MacBook Air and most of the Industry agrees. Just ask the man that owns one.
    When it comes to getting seriously creative then the 27 iMac with expandable ram is unbeatable for most in the all in one category, for the connoisseur then it's Mac Pro and then the only thing that holds you back is the size of your wallet.

Now me I just use the stuff, so my knowledge is pure application not I heard it through the grapevine, when it comes to Gates xxxx and the manufacturers who use his junk then I have decades of first hand use, now don't get me wrong if you want to learn how to fix these pieces of xxxx you get plenty of opportunity, everthing I learned about computers was fixing this rubbish, so I am thankful, but it's going on three years now and the only time I get to use this 20 plus year culmination of band aid, reboot, duct tape fixes is my two machines from a bygone era.

Ask yourself what percentage of Window users leave the operating system and move to Mac computer and OS and the kicker how many go back to Windows, I am talking modern era not 1990's just the last decade.

Now real life, any day you can walk by the Apple store and the Windows store in Florida Mall in Orlando side by side btw, Apple store filled with customers, Bill Gate's place Microsoft, well besides the help and a few odd customers for Xbox 360 the joints silent. And the xxxxxxxx stole the layout from Apple...kinda says it all don't it.

You want a computer buy a Mac all the rest is....well you know...lol
    Last edited by Samaritan; 07-10-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rm -rf windows10
    Constructio Cognitio Omnia Vincit