Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unique statue of Phoenician priest discovered in Sidon

Unique statue of Phoenician priest discovered in Sidon
    May 19, 2014 07:14 PM
    The Daily Star

SIDON, Lebanon: A statue of a Phoenician priest has been uncovered at an excavation site in the southern city of Sidon, along with other antiquities, the most unique find for Lebanon in decades, the British Museum team announced Monday.

The priest, 115 centimeters high and dating back to the sixth century B.C., was found at the Freres College site, which has been under excavation for the last 16 years, the head of the excavation, Claude Doumit Serhal, announced at a press conference at the Lebanese Directorate General of Antiquities.

“Nothing comparable has been found in Lebanon since the early 1960s, and only three other examples originating from Sidon, Umm al-Ahmed and Tyre are housed in the Beirut National Museum,” the statement said.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Leb...#ixzz32BD09AnW
    (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News ::http://www.dailystar.com.lb/)
    "No need to say more...I, for one, do not care one iota about being politically correct, I do call it as I see it without no fear, and those who get their feeling hurt by such truth I say to them:
    " GO CRY ME A RIVER" "-Beirutilibnani

The Right To Do Something Does Not Mean It Is Right. (William Safire)

Every piece of this is man's bullshit. They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'

2. Thanks Ali_81 thanked for this post
    Likes Fady A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great. let them put it in the national museam. let people remember that there were other religions in Lebanon before christianity and islam. That there was a time where everyone had the same belief in Lebanon.

4. Thanks Ali_81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, all pre-Islamic artefacts found in the Near East should be sent abroad, far away from countries with a sizeable muslim population.
    I seriously doubt museums will prevent looters from looting (it happened a few months ago in Egypt) and muslims from destroying treasures of inestimable value (do I even need to give examples?).

I cringe each time I remember that the Dura Europos synagogue's wall-paintings are to be found in Damascus' national museum...
    If they don't get transferred out of the country ASAP I'm afraid they'll end up being destroyed (either by da3sh, either by the assad gang to bolster its propaganda), these wall-paintings are in danger as long as they remain in Syria.

If mosques aren't safe, you can bet museums aren't either and that nothing will prevent vandalism from creeping in around such treasures.
    Last edited by Semitic Duwa; 20-05-2014 at 04:37 AM.

6. Likes Fady A liked this post
    Dislikes Fady A, Ali_81 disliked this post