Thread: Gardening

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gardening

So who loves Gardening?
    I have a large backyard and was advised ya shreek you are wasting it by so many people.
    Anyway so I decided to Garden.

Have planted:
    Carrots, Cucumbers, Onions, Tomatoes, strawberries, Radish, Parsley, Celery, Shallots, and Mint.
    Also planted Watermelon last week.
    I have to honestly say anyone with a large piece of land must do the same.

Very low maintenance and the rewards my GOODNESS!
    I had to give some out.
    For the first time in my life yesterday I did not go shopping for cucumbers, tomatoes and Onions.

And the thing is, when they are ripe and to be picked, there are others I have planted that are growing as well.

Don't believe this seasonal crap. I ignored it. El you must seed in summer or Spring. I planted some in wrong season they still came out great.

Trees are a different matter. Just have to wait a long time. I have planted dwarf apple and orange trees, have got of course two olive trees, a fig tree and a Mango tree. Also have a Quince tree (sfarjel) and this tree is excellent I never need to buy jam hahah just make it out from quince.

The lemon tree I have is good but its the large sized one so I bought a dwarf lemon tree and will plant it today.
    Last edited by shreek; 07-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

2. Thanks vampire, Samaritan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No land to speak of today but I did it as a kid as a chore for my parents, good fun and as you say great rewards, it's in my blood we were planters in Virginia going back to 1600's till last generation.
    Who would claim to be that, who was not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samaritan View Post
    No land to speak of today but I did it as a kid as a chore for my parents, good fun and as you say great rewards, it's in my blood we were planters in Virginia going back to 1600's till last generation.
    My wife is helping Sam as well.
    Like all Lebanese who have very large parcels/tracts of land everyone plants either vegetables, fruits or trees. So she has some experience from her parents of how to seed and plant.
    I scoffed at Gardening before but I saw how my kids love it as well.
    'Plant Pumpkin Dad', 'Plant Corn' lol. Pumpkin and corn need room but heck I planted corn yesterday.
    It brings the family together I must say and the kids learn about responsibility. Better than getting a dog!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreek View Post
    So who loves Gardening?
    I have a large backyard and was advised ya shreek you are wasting it by so many people.
    Anyway so I decided to Garden.

Have planted:
    Carrots, Cucumbers, Onions, Tomatoes, strawberries, Radish, Parsley, Celery, Shallots, and Mint.
    Also planted Watermelon last week.
    I have to honestly say anyone with a large piece of land must do the same.

Very low maintenance and the rewards my GOODNESS!
    I had to give some out.
    For the first time in my life yesterday I did not go shopping for cucumbers, tomatoes and Onions.

And the thing is, when they are ripe and to be picked, there are others I have planted that are growing as well.

Don't believe this seasonal crap. I ignored it. El you must seed in summer or Spring. I planted some in wrong season they still came out great.

Trees are a different matter. Just have to wait a long time. I have planted dwarf apple and orange trees, have got of course two olive trees, a fig tree and a Mango tree. Also have a Quince tree (sfarjel) and this tree is excellent I never need to buy jam hahah just make it out from quince.

The lemon tree I have is good but its the large sized one so I bought a dwarf lemon tree and will plant it today.

I love gardening !! , hehe ... it's in our blood , although i cannot spare enough time to arrange our massive lands , hehe .. I love it ya shreekna , and maybe one day , i'll help you ...

Why it's in the blood ? .. Once , my grandfather ordered me to follow him into some parts of our lands , then he asked me to shovel the ground clean it from rocks ,arrange it to seed " homos " , lol .. I was like 10 years old , and needed to cry or run away , hehe , but my grandfather , the king of the tribe , had no mercy ; I told him : they don't teach us this at school granpa , lol , so he started insulting them : heydeh mesh madrasseh , heydeh matyasseh , yalla nkosh n2ele3 ... hahahaha ...Golden words that i will never forget ...

I worked like seven days , my hands got balloons , the pain unsupportable , while my grandfather , there smiling and saying : this your land kiddo , not mine ... soon , i'll die . May God bless his soul . He taught me to love the our land .
    إن الأبطال يموتون ولا يستسلمون...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Allah yirhamo howdi those oldies they can never be replaced.
    A7la iyem walla.

3a fikra I went crazy with the vegetable garden.
    Halla2 my wife tells me what we going to do when all the crops are ripe.

Ma3a ha2 I have to waze3 lol.

Can u put vegetables in the freezer?

7. Thanks vampire thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A7la iyem walla.

W yer7am mawtek khayeh , Granpa was a giant in everything , in all the word meanings . I still believe his wisdom bypassed even the important philosophers , but i could be wrong and biased , loool ..

Hala2 ya shreekna , 7elou l karam , but to a certain limit ... It's better to dry them ; hommos , beans and many other vegetables can survive in their dried form and in some clean big wooden barrels ;
    We have a big room in the house where everything is stored , maybe to face a nuclear war even hehe ..
    إن الأبطال يموتون ولا يستسلمون...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A7la iyem walla.

cant ur shopkeeper friend sell the surplus ya shreek?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy55 View Post
    cant ur shopkeeper friend sell the surplus ya shreek?
    hahah no they sell coffee wa basic groceries no real fruit or vegetables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spent entire day yesterday removing weeds from front yard and driveway. i was aching all over slept very early. bas looks very very nice like new now hahah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shreek, we are blessed in Oz to have our big backyards and WOGs (you know Lebanese, Italians and Greeks) turn them into a mini farm
    My backyard is an evolving project, some of the trees in it: Olive, Lemon, Apricot, Almond, Peach and Pomegranate.
    As for the vegies, it is seasonal, but we will have Tomatoes , Lebanese Cucumber, Thyme (Zaatar), Mint, Parsley, broad beans (season just finished), snow peas, silverbeet, etc..

I am more the "Tree man", I have other members of the family looking after the vegies.. each his/her own patch

13. Thanks xr8sk thanked for this post