User Tag List

Thread: The Grand Design

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Grand Design

As I was looking for reviews for a new book to read, I came across this thread and I was not quite shocked by the replies I have read for I have been following Richard Dawkins for a while now on Twitter and haven't been exactly amazed by his tweets and this is absolutely not because of his sarcasm about religions but rather because the arguments he insinuates in order to disprove religions are not quite 'intelligent' in my opinion. For instance, he once tweeted about an Iraqi 15 years old teen who moved to the US and whose father (A priest) forces him to attend the mass. (Is this how you aim at convincing me that religions are bad?! :-O).

What made me open the thread (Months after finishing the book) is neither Dawkins alone nor Stephen Hawking but rather the divergent approaches each writer opted for in order to reach the same end. I do not intend to encourage you to read The Grand Design even though it is a great book, my whole point simply revolves around real scientists and those whose mere objective is to sell copies. I have noticed that the majority of the readers in the aforementioned link (The God Delusion) were not quite satisfied with the book even though they seemed to have an open mind and were ready to change their stands regarding religions.

Long story short, Hawking is a 'classy' and peculiar scientist. The man does not want to convince you of anything nor alter your beliefs and convictions. He simply wants to explain to you via Physics and Astrophysics the stages the universe had to go through in order to reach the current status. Don't expect to stumble upon any spices of sarcasm or blame or degradation in the book because Hawking is in my opinion beyond this (Reason why I dubbed him classy). He is quite certain about what he bolsters in the book and does not really put so much effort in deciphering whether the reader is going to be convinced or not because he is obviously a purist when it comes to Science: This is his package, you either take it and absorb it or leave it. Furthermore, he shamelessly states the flaws or mysterious phenomena Science has not unveiled yet without any recourse to subjective/cunning language.

Moreover, he incites the reader to delve more into the aspects of Physics and look at it beyond the shallow Atheism Vs. Deism debate. He lets all these matters slide and simply focuses on the core which is The Grand Design! There is this brilliant passage where he evokes facts about the life of Faraday and in which he indirectly tells the reader that each one of us can be an outlier.

In a nutshell, the book generally explains and details all Physics theories and postulates and laws that govern our universe and that led us to reach this state. His points are quite rational and relative to the context of the book. I do not advise everybody to read it because it requires a minimum background in Physics in order to understand what he is explaining but if you still remember what you studied in Physics during High School, you may go for it.

Hawking did not convert me or pushed to ask for an excommunication. This is not what he aims for at the end of the day. Nevertheless, I believe that the point (Educate people about Science and Physics) he wanted to convey via the book has clearly reached me.

One last point, the book makes you unintentionally smarter. Right after finishing the difficult 'The Grand Design', I read a book that deals with a social thesis and was surprised that I could actually read the book and listen to the TV at the same time without any effect on my attention span. This may sound fulsome but you will understand what I am pointing for once you read the book ;-D

As for me, I would grade the book 8/10 (Will grade it 10/10 once I re-read it and make sure I absorb every single one of the theories he detailed ).
    Last edited by SONYAh!; 15-10-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    "You have evolved from worm to man, but much
    within you is still worm. Once you were apes, yet even now man is more

of an ape than any of the apes"- Nietzche

2. Thanks Lebanon_not_Arabic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SONYAh! View Post
    I do not advise everybody to read it because it requires a minimum background in Physics in order to understand what he is explaining but if you still remember what you studied in Physics during High School, you may go for it.

As for me, I would grade the book 8/10 (Will grade it 10/10 once I re-read it and make sure I absorb every single one of the theories he detailed ).
    Compared to "A Brief History of Time", is it easier to understand, or basically the same difficulty...? Because honestly, I gave up trying to read anything by Hawkings (Whom I greatly admire, I mean the guy appeared on The Simpsons)