Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Massacres in Syria

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigwinnman View Post
    That's a whole new subject. This is about Syria and the effects that these things will have on Lebanon
    What good is the Arab league on this? Each one is a dictator and so they protect dictators.

2. Thanks Kanaan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
    What good is the Arab league on this? Each one is a dictator and so they protect dictators.
    You're absolutely correct about the AL but with all the changes happening within the Arab community the League itself is going to have to change to follow suit. No longer will it be filled with dictators alone but by elected government representatives as well. These new representatives are going to want to leave their mark on the League if, for nothing else, but to further their careers.
    The AL also knows that its image is that of a spineless coward and Syria is a slap in its face. The west has stayed out so far and has blocked any overt action by Arab countries that want to get involved (regardless of KSA being one). The AL needs to better its image and Syria is its best opportunity.
    "No need to say more...I, for one, do not care one iota about being politically correct, I do call it as I see it without no fear, and those who get their feeling hurt by such truth I say to them:
    " GO CRY ME A RIVER" "-Beirutilibnani

The Right To Do Something Does Not Mean It Is Right. (William Safire)

Every piece of this is man's bullshit. They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Look at these horrific images. This is the work of bloodthirsty medieval militias. Going into peoples homes and butchering whole familes . No government in the world would do this.

http://www.sana.sy/eng/337/2012/05/26/421559.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But the West should stay out of this.
    The West is engineering the spectacle .

The West will not rest on this one . The route to Tehran starts through Damascus .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramez View Post
    The West is engineering the spectacle .

The West will not rest on this one . The route to Tehran starts through Damascus .
    You're right ... the west convinced that young man in Tunisia to set himself on fire after being slapped by a policewoman foe trying to feed his family. The west somehow convinced the nation of Libya to take down its dictator and were successful in having their puppet in Egypt removed and put on trial.
    Yoy really need to start putting your ears to the ground and listen to the voices of the people instead of keeping your eyes fixed on known government media's reporting.
    "No need to say more...I, for one, do not care one iota about being politically correct, I do call it as I see it without no fear, and those who get their feeling hurt by such truth I say to them:

Every piece of this is man's bullshit. They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigwinnman View Post
    You're right ... the west convinced that young man in Tunisia to set himself on fire after being slapped by a policewoman foe trying to feed his family. The west somehow convinced the nation of Libya to take down its dictator and were successful in having their puppet in Egypt removed and put on trial.
    Yoy really need to start putting your ears to the ground and listen to the voices of the people instead of keeping your eyes fixed on known government media's reporting.
    How about you listen to the voices of those who do not want civil war, do not want international meddling and just want compromise and peace. They are the majority . Listen to them .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramez View Post
    How about you listen to the voices of those who do not want civil war, do not want international meddling and just want compromise and peace. They are the majority . Listen to them .
    I certainly do and I understand that the majority simply want to live a life but when their own government turns their weapons on peaceful protestors simply asking for change and the funeral processions of those they killed there is something inherently wrong in that country and that government. So what about listening to those original protestors now buried. Oh that's right they no longer have a voice because they are dead. Congratulations your peaceful government is now trying to silence children.

10. Thanks educated fool, Kanaan, Peter Pan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is none of our business.
    A lot of stuff America pokes their nose into isn't their business.

This is a war of a Iranian-Shia-backed tyrant vs a Saudi-Sunni-tyrannical-rebellion.
    This is true, though for the people suffering, they don't see it this way.

Which is worse: A secular Baathist tyranny or a Saudi backed Salafist tyranny.
    Probably the Salafists; though we don't know who will win in Syria should/when Assad falls.

This is the million dollar question that we all fear.

If Tripoli's Salafists or Sidon's Shia want to fight ... THEN LET THEM KILL EACH OTHER .... IN SYRIA!
    Sidon's predominantly Sunni, as is Tripoli.

But the West should stay out of this, and Lebanese Christian should offer both sides nothing but the gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Probably the best bet.

The problem with the Americans, is that they claim to be the beacon of freedom and democracy.

Why do they chose where to support freedom? Why didn't they help the poor Iranians who were slaughtered in 2009?

Why help the people in Libya but not in Syria? Why help in Bosnia but not Darfur?
    Last edited by Kanaan; 27-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massacre of 92 in Syria called 'deplorable act'

Phil Sands
    May 27, 2012

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...deplorable-act

Damascus // United Nations observers yesterday visited the site of a massacre near Homs in which at least 92 people were killed on Friday, one of the bloodiest single atrocities in Syria's 15-month long uprising.
    General Robert Mood, the head of the UN observer mission to Syria, confirmed his team had counted 92 bodies during their investigation and that tank shells had been used in the assault. More than 32 of those killed were children under the age of 10.
    "The observers confirmed from examination of ordinances the use of artillery tank shells," he said. "Whoever started, whoever responded and whoever carried out this deplorable act of violence should be held responsible."
    Opposition activists said almost 100 civilians had died on Friday in artillery attacks by government forces on the town of Hula, 40km west of Homs city.
    According to one version of events, pro-regime thugs, known as shabbiheh, stormed residential areas after the bombardment, stabbing and shooting people to death.
    As details of the killings emerged yesterday, and international condemnation grew, Syrian state media issued its own version of what transpired. Although it confirmed a "massacre" had taken place - both pro and anti-regime factions agreed there had been a slaughter - officials said "terrorists" were responsible, not its own forces.
    Syrian state television aired some of the same footage that anti-regime activists had earlier posted on the internet, documenting in gruesome detail some of the corpses of children.
    But the government's version said the killers had burnt and blown up homes to mimic the impact of an artillery barrage, so as to falsely implicate the authorities. State media said the attack had been staged to subvert a faltering UN-sponsored ceasefire agreement, brokered by the special envoy Kofi Annan. Mr Annan is expected to visit Syria soon in an effort to revive the flagging April 12 peace deal that has failed to halt the bloodshed.
    "The armed groups are escalating their massacres against the Syrian people only days before international envoy Kofi Annan's visit in a bid to defeat his plan and a political solution to the crisis," state-run media said.
    Diametrically opposite explanations of the same event, offered by the regime and its opponents, have become a common feature of a wider propaganda war, mirroring a deepening, highly polarised conflict on the ground in which more than 9,000 people have been killed since last March.
    However, while independent verification of facts has proven difficult in previous incidents, on this occasion the deployment of UN observers meant they were able visit the scene within hours of the killings, carrying with it the prospect of an impartial evaluation of what really happened.
    UN observers passed no public verdict on who was responsible for the killings yesterday evening, although only government forces are equipped with tanks. Gen Mood described the killings as a "brutal tragedy".
    "Those using violence for their own agendas will create more instability, more unpredictability and may lead country to civil war," he told reporters in Damascus.
    Some media reports on the Hula killings suggested sectarian motives at work. The area where the massacre occurred is home to members of Syria's Sunni majority while, according to one activist from the area, quoted by the Associated Press, the shabbiheh committing at least some of the murders were drawn from nearby Alawite villages.
    Sectarian violence between Alawite and Sunnis has taken place, particularly in some parts of Homs, yet the struggle for Syria cannot simply be drawn along sectarian lines.
    Bashar Al Assad, the Syrian president, and much of the ruling elite are members of the Alawite minority, an offshoot of Shia Islam, but he also draws support within the Sunni majority, as well as secularists and other minority groups.
    Likewise, the opposition has been strongest in mainly Sunni areas but many Alawites, Christians and Kurds have joined the cause of toppling Syria's autocratic regime.
    In the wake of Hula, protests broke out across Syria, with demonstrators taking to the streets in support of the town.
    The opposition Syria National Council called for a meeting of the UN Security Council and demanded action from the international community, while the rebel Free Syrian Army warned it would no longer honour a commitment to the Annan peace plan, unless violence by regime forces stopped.
    Also yesterday, Najib Mikati, Lebanon's prime minister, said a planned visit to Turkey to meet freed Lebanese hostages had been postponed because their widely reported release had not yet happened.
    On Friday, the Lebanese health minister, Ali Hassan Khalil, said the 11 men abducted in northern Syria days ago had arrived in Turkey, which was later denied by Turkish diplomatic sources, according to the AFP news agency.
    psands@thenational.ae

I want to help Ramez here because this is most likely the portion of the article he will single out ....

UN observers passed no public verdict on who was responsible for the killings yesterday evening

It should be emphasized that the words are "no public verdict" but as any good diplomatic representative will do, it's not good to lay blame especially when you want to continue doing your job.