Thread: Renovated old-house eateries offer classic flavor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Renovated old-house eateries offer classic flavor

Renovated old-house eateries offer classic flavor

Dar owners turned an old Hamra house into a bistrot. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

The idea behind Dardashat came from the mother of the owners, who herself grew up in an old house and wanted to share her experience by opening a family caf. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

Armenian restaurant Mayrig is based in an old house in Beirut's historical district of Gemmayzeh. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

BEIRUT: Hidden in the shadows of the steel cranes towering over much of Lebanon are a handful of charming old houses that have been renovated into cozy eateries.

It reminds me of old Beirut when I was young, London-based Lebanese food writer Anissa Helou says of restaurants in old houses. It fits in with my love for art and history, and the atmosphere of vaulted rooms and high windows are quite different from that of nondescript cubes.

There is a certain amount of mystery and of course a feeling of history that reinforces the pleasure, the more so for the systematic destruction of our architectural heritage, she adds.

Most restaurant owners who undertake a complete renovation of an old house acknowledge that they could have saved money by tearing down the old decor or picking a different venue altogether.

However, they say the cost of losing local history is far greater than the financial investment.

This helps keep the spirit of Beirut. It needs to stay, says Rhea Ayoub, marketing manager for the Albergo Hotel and Al Dente Italian restaurant in Monnot, which opened 17 years ago as Lebanons first boutique hotel and Italian restaurant. If in 20 years all the buildings are destroyed, youd come to Beirut, and you wouldnt see the spirit.

Walking into the carefully restored French-style art-deco building is like taking a trip back in time to an age when coziness met opulence, as formally dressed concierges warmly greet guests in the waiting room, lined with classic literature on shelves and historical paintings on the walls.

Also in Monnot is Stove, a restaurant opened just over a year ago that is as unassuming as its name, with a small unmarked front door thats easy to miss. Once inside, the guest is taken aback by the spacious rooms, high ceilings and marble arches, as well as outdoor terraces, renovated at a cost of $750,000 in a minimalist fashion which allows the traditional architecture to shine.

A far more casual but just as traditional environment is Dardashat, a chain of coffee shops started three years ago, located on Beiruts waterfront in the neighborhood of Ain al-Mreisseh as well as near the high-end shopping area of Verdun.

There, friends meet for coffee and to enjoy the old atmosphere. The idea came from the owners mother, who herself grew up in an old house and wanted to share her experience by opening a family cafe.

At Aliacci, a small Italian restaurant on Gemmayzehs Gouraud Street, Ali Shoukeir says what he spent on the renovation two years ago $120,000 is at least twice what he would have spent had he not taken the time to keep the old character. But for him, its worth the effort to preserve a small piece of Beirut history.

I hope they dont tear down the old buildings here, because then it will become like Downtown [Beirut], he says as he looks up at the high Ottoman-era stone arch overhead. Downtown used to be the most beautiful place in Lebanon. Do you remember it?

Like Shoukeirs restaurant, stepping into the bars and restaurants along the length of Gemmayzehs main street reveals the old stone arches of an Ottoman khan, but with most of the facades dating to the French mandate period. The area is one of the few in the capital, including Monnot, Abdel-Wahab and Pasteur streets, that has remained largely intact amid Beiruts ongoing construction boom.
    Sitting in the quiet garden of Amareddine restaurant on Abdel-Wahab Street, one might almost forget for a moment that Beirut is in the midst of a construction boom until one looks up to see a large skyscraper towering overhead.

I picked this place because it was the only garden we could find in Beirut, says co-owner of Amareddine, Amine-Jules Iskandar, an architect who restored and renovated the spacious old house into a dining oasis, with orange and mango trees towering over the outdoor garden, a bubbling antique fountain and customers chatting at their tables under umbrellas.

It looks like a Renoir painting, he says as he looks across the courtyard at diners shaded by the awning of trees, eating a colorful assortment of mezze dishes on a bright white table cloth.

People love it, even if they dont say it. People talk about restaurants but not the old houses, says Iskandar, who isnt bothered that his detailed work is a backdrop rather than a centerpiece of the old house dining experience.

When he first started restoring old houses for restaurants 15 years ago, he hoped this would encourage people to preserve Beiruts architectural heritage, but he has since seen most of his work destroyed after a new business came along.

He is hoping though that with good food reviews his restaurant, and therefore building restoration, will manage to survive, unlike many of his other projects over the past two decades.

Our aim is to make this one survive forever, he says.

May 01, 2012
    By Brooke Anderson
    dailystar.com.lb
    YOU CAN KILL A MAN BUT YOU CAN'T KILL AN IDEA. -Medgar Evers.

2. Thanks xr8sk, Samaritan, Garfield thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looooooooooove old houses.
    ما بيصح الا الصحيح
    زرعنا بلادي استشهاد... حصدنا حرية

4. Thanks nora thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garfield, my house is one of those old ones renovated with the arches and everything......i can have a dinner there and walla renovated old house eatery......you and nora can come and eat there....

6. Thanks nora thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great article ..looks like a great find, the old neighborhood and the area of Bylbos are on my sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreek View Post
    Garfield, my house is one of those old ones renovated with the arches and everything......i can have a dinner there and walla renovated old house eatery......you and nora can come and eat there....
    A Bed and Breakfast is the future..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samaritan View Post
    Great article ..looks like a great find, the old neighborhood and the area of Bylbos are on my sites.
    you just tell me when and where and if i am there we will arrange it

10. Thanks Samaritan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreek View Post
    Wowww
    Why not? let's see nora
    ما بيصح الا الصحيح
    زرعنا بلادي استشهاد... حصدنا حرية

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pkoi pa 2elna l charaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Wowww
    Why not? let's see nora
    YOU CAN KILL A MAN BUT YOU CAN'T KILL AN IDEA. -Medgar Evers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite renovated house is La Table d'Alfred . It is located in the Sursock street. I accidentally saw it while I was passing in the street long ago then looked at its inside from a little window and was charmed by its fabulous style and ambiance.

It is known for its French cuisine. I haven't been there yet but I definitely will soon. For those who want to go, kindly note that this restaurant is pricey and that the average bill is around 80$ per person
    "You have evolved from worm to man, but much
    within you is still worm. Once you were apes, yet even now man is more

of an ape than any of the apes"- Nietzche