Thread: Freedom for Yara Shammas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Freedom for Yara Shammas

https://www.facebook.com/FreedomForYaraMichalShammas

Yara is a distant relative of mine on my mom's side. She is a Syrian christian, and her dad is a lawyer and human rights activist who has been helping people who are trying to find out what has happened to "missing" (as in kidnapped by the Baathists) family members and such.

On March 7, this year, Yara (a 21 year old college student) was kidnapped in Damascus by the regime's thugs, along with a dozen or so other students who were all just sitting in a cafeteria having dinner. She was held for about a month and a half without any charges, without her family being allowed to see her, and without her being allowed a lawyer. A few days ago, they finally announced charges against her. It's a very long list of charges, which range from things on the level of "making Facebook posts that ridicule the government" to things like "belonging to a secret organization," whatever that means. Basically, it's a list of things that (even if true, which a lot of them are probably not) are just what normal people would call "basic rights and freedoms," but in the Mafia land that is Syria one of the charges (not sure exactly which one) is apparently punishable by death.

If you guys could 'like' the facebook page I linked to, and recommend it to others, so we can spread knowledge of Yara's case (and the cases of political prisoners in Syria in general) as much as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Libertarian; 26-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.

2. Thanks Katoom, Mike D, Kanaan, cedrus_libani, vampire, xr8sk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could go one step further. I could build a Word Press site for her.

You would have to give me some pictures, and some info. I would build the site and you could post daily on her conditions.

You would have to buy the hosting. VERY CHEAP - I would build the site for free

PM for details.

4. Thanks Libertarian, vampire thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small correction: Apparently I was misinformed. Her dad, who is also her lawyer, has been allowed to see her briefly a couple of times, though he was not there in the hearing when her charges were announced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Libertarian ; I've already raised the issue of Georges Yazeji and Yara Shammas .. A noble cause ...
    ? ? ?? ?? ....

7. Thanks Kanaan, Libertarian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for CA and all , Here is the link of Georges Yazeji ;

http://www.facebook.com/AlhrytLjwrjY...llGeorgeYaziji
    ? ? ?? ?? ....

9. Thanks xr8sk, Libertarian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope liking this page will not be construed as tacit support for the Wahhabis . We support noble persons (as im sure this girl is) but demand a firm response against the terrorists and their backers .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramez View Post
    I hope liking this page will not be construed as tacit support for the Wahhabis . We support noble persons (as im sure this girl is) but demand a firm response against the terrorists and their backers .

So funny !!! Are the Christians in syria wahabbis also ? , loool ...
    ? ? ?? ?? ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post

So funny !!! Are the Christians in syria wahabbis also ? , loool ...
    Please sir , no need for misrepresenting me . We have two oppositions. One is peace loving and reform minded which seeks change democratically and gradually. The other is destructive and evil . We need to draw this very important distinction in these volotaile times .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramez View Post
    Please sir , no need for misrepresenting me . We have two oppositions. One is peace loving and reform minded which seeks change democratically and gradually. The other is destructive and evil . We need to draw this very important distinction in these volotaile times .

I must say that i followed this revolution two months before its , let's say official launching , it was always pacific ... The Free Syrian Army appeared after at least 5000 victims ; Don't you agree with me sir ?
    ? ? ?? ?? ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post

I must say that i followed this revolution two months before its , let's say official launching , it was always pacific ... The Free Syrian Army appeared after at least 5000 victims ; Don't you agree with me sir ?
    A criminal is not born a criminal. Not being a criminal yesterday is no excuse for being a destructive murderous criminal today with reprehensible goals and tactics . I am dealing purely with the reality today .