PDA

View Full Version : Medieval Cathedral of Tyre

Samaritan
02-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Has anyone been there or seen it.
I plan on visiting it one day a number of my family members seem to have been buried in the church or on the grounds. Not recently though, when it was in use by the Franks and before it was destroyed by the Mamelukes.
Any thoughts most welcome or any Medieval structures in Tyre or Sidon, my family were active there during the early to mid 13th century, I will enjoy walking in the same paths as they, I pray.:heart:

xr8sk
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
My brother was talking about a church there on the weekend.....I'll ask him if its the same one and if he took pictures last year

Samaritan
03-02-2010, 01:59 AM
My brother was talking about a church there on the weekend.....I'll ask him if its the same one and if he took pictures last year
Thank you I plan on visiting it someday, the pictures on the net don't really do it justice. I appreciate your attention xr8sk.

Seeman
06-02-2010, 03:01 AM
There are four to five churches in the old Christian quarter of Tyre..Two Melkite Catholics churches (Saint Thomas, and Sayedet el Bchara) and one Maronite Church (Sayedet el Be7ar..Our Lady of the Seas), and one small Orhtodox Church Saint Georges I believe, but the two churches that I suspect Samaritan is talking about one of them is most Likely Saint Thomas , Mar Touma, it is a beautiful structure, they did renovate it about ten or 15 years ago, but it sits near lots of ancient ruins from the time of the Pheonician, Crusaders and other older civilization..

Samaritan
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
There are four to five churches in the old Christian quarter of Tyre..Two Melkite Catholics churches (Saint Thomas, and Sayedet el Bchara) and one Maronite Church (Sayedet el Be7ar..Our Lady of the Seas), and one small Orhtodox Church Saint Georges I believe, but the two churches that I suspect Samaritan is talking about one of them is most Likely Saint Thomas , Mar Touma, it is a beautiful structure, they did renovate it about ten or 15 years ago, but it sits near lots of ancient ruins from the time of the Pheonician, Crusaders and other older civilization..
Thank you for the interest my friend, here's a small picture I gleaned from the web and a little blurb to help someone who is knowledgeable.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:s9mqdh9u6rvtaM:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/158420002_1bc821a453.jpg?v=0 (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/158420002_1bc821a453.jpg?v=0)

a five minute walk to the west.
Its major point of interest is a Crusader cathedral. Only the lowest foundations and a few re-erected granite columns remain intact but these are nevertheless impressive. The area below has revealed a network of Romano-Byzantine roads and other installations. Visitors are not allowed inside the site, but the ruins can be viewed from the road.

Apparently this is near the following......

located on what was the Phoenician island, is a vast district of civic buildings, colonnades, public baths, mosaic streets and a rectangular arena.
Walk to the beach at the far end of the site. The columns to the left belong to a Palaestra, an area where athletes trained. Other excavated remains on this site date to the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine periods. A short distance from the shore you will see "islands" which are, in fact, the great stone breakwaters and jetties of the ancient Phoenician port, called the "Egyptian port" because it faced south towards Egypt.

Thanks again :)

lebanese1984
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Are there Christians in Tyre?

shreek
13-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Are there Christians in Tyre?

ofcourse there are christians. been there twice.
there are 7 churches + in Tyre lol. seeman there also Franciscans there and Protestant church/school as well as a Russian one i believe.

beautiful city with a village feel and great Beaches.
if I had money I would buy an apartment there.

samaritan are you talking about the ancient Basilica of Tyre?
Eusebius mentions it in 315AD with great arches and colonades, atrium and raised aisle.

Samaritan
13-05-2013, 03:11 AM
ofcourse there are christians. been there twice.
there are 7 churches + in Tyre lol. seeman there also Franciscans there and Protestant church/school as well as a Russian one i believe.

beautiful city with a village feel and great Beaches.
if I had money I would buy an apartment there.

samaritan are you talking about the ancient Basilica of Tyre?
Eusebius mentions it in 315AD with great arches and colonades, atrium and raised aisle.
http://cdn1.vtourist.com/4/4723529-Crusader_Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Cross_Jan_2010_Tyre .jpg
That would be the Cathedral of the Holy Cross the other Cathedral mentioned by Euseblus was still standing when the Crusaders took Lebanon. I would like to find more about Medieval Tyre for that is the time of my families residence.

xr8sk
13-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Sam,

Is the picture you put up whats left of the cathederal you talk of...

Samaritan
13-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Sam,

Is the picture you put up whats left of the cathederal you talk of...
I believe so.
I back tracked with looking up my ancestors burial place, then started from there and finally found some photos. Hopefully theres more photos. I have an interest in visiting but politically it's probably going to take a while.

xr8sk
13-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I have about 3-4 photo's of the columns if you like. I took them in 2010 when I was there....hell we might even share a couple of ancestors as my roots run deep in the area.

I can also check to see what photo's my brother has as he's an avid photographer and may have taken a lot more in that area.

Kanaan
13-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Been to Tyre once but only visited the ruins of what I thought was a hipprodome.

Nice city/quarter of the city from what I've seen of it, didn't seem like it was being maintained at the time.

xr8sk
13-05-2013, 07:33 PM
I spent a bit of time in and out of there in 2010 when I was there....loved the older part of the city, but the council needs to take more care of the sea area as I found it very dirty.

Ali_81
16-06-2013, 09:37 PM
http://cdn1.vtourist.com/4/4723529-Crusader_Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Cross_Jan_2010_Tyre .jpg
That would be the Cathedral of the Holy Cross the other Cathedral mentioned by Euseblus was still standing when the Crusaders took Lebanon. I would like to find more about Medieval Tyre for that is the time of my families residence.

I've seen it, I didn't know that it was a Cathedral! There is no guide and the map was not clear, it is just next to the old Roman ruins.

I've heard once that there is an ancient Church that was built on top of Melkart's temple, does anyone know which church is it?

Ali_81
16-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I believe so.
I back tracked with looking up my ancestors burial place, then started from there and finally found some photos. Hopefully theres more photos. I have an interest in visiting but politically it's probably going to take a while.

Just don't talk about "the fat guy with a black turban" and you should be fine, make sure that you don't have any Israeli stamps on your passport, and while there don't do any of your espionage activities!

Samaritan
16-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Just don't talk about \\"the fat guy with a black turban\\" and you should be fine, make sure that you don't have any Israeli stamps on your passport, and while there don't do any of your espionage activities!

I have been traveling the world since I was a kid so I know the protocol of being in someone else's house that may not want you as a long term guest.
Living in NYC for years also takes the small town boy out of you too.

There's a few tours and one in particular that only does tours on the Crusades which will be my initial first trip.
After that I'll do the adventuresome solos with pre arranged guides. Syria is part of the trip as well as Turkey, never been to either, should be fun.

And indeed all talk of the fatman and his mercenary thug militia is on silent mode once I enter the lions den.

Ali_81
17-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I found few photos, I can see in the background the yellow house u show on your photo.
Can I upload them to the forum ?

Samaritan
17-06-2013, 01:06 AM
They are not mine Ali_81, they are xr8sk's however I don't think anyone would have objections.
Personally I would appreciate more photos of Tyre and Sidon, my interest is in what's left from the Medieval period which is when my families were settled in that area.
Good to see you posting again, I like articulate opposition, when your opposite number can only deliver a rant of 12 words or less and does it poorly, it ain't no fun.

Ali_81
17-06-2013, 01:46 AM
They are not mine Ali_81, they are xr8sk's however I don't think anyone would have objections.
Personally I would appreciate more photos of Tyre and Sidon, my interest is in what's left from the Medieval period which is when my families were settled in that area.
Good to see you posting again, I like articulate opposition, when your opposite number can only deliver a rant of 12 words or less and does it poorly, it ain't no fun.

I'm focused on islamists and their followers these days :p , I've been in a journey on the net, however I discovered that there is no way to have a debate with them, lets see if Jolio is any better...

janoubi
05-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Tyre is good for abou deeb shawarma and this other place in the old city, they make their foul mdammas & hummus in large copper bowls.. Oh man they taste so great!

Samaritan
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Tyre is good for abou deeb shawarma and this other place in the old city, they make their foul mdammas & hummus in large copper bowls.. Oh man they taste so great!
Looking forward to having some of the best, a feast for the eyes and a feast for the tastebuds.